What headphones to Get
Jun 20, 2010 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jaysilver99

New Head-Fier
Yes, I  am in the market for a new pair of over the ear headphones prefer closed but one of my options is an open one.  I mostly listen to rock, alternative, some rap, and spoken word as well as watching a lot of movies too.  The primary source will be an ipod touch 64g 3rd generation with a secondary source being my computer but not often as I have a great sound system I like to use there. 

I will be listening to them mostly at home at night, but do have the intention to use them on an airplane and other places, but the primary use will be at home.

The 3 I have so far picked are:

Bose Quiet Comfort 15 --  $299.99

Monster Dre Beats Studio Edition-- $299.99

Sennheiser HD595 --- $199.99

Out of those 3 which is the best for Ipod use?  I know the hd595 might have to use a different jack adapter which will cost extra, but just need some opinions on everything.

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 12
Are you looking specifically for noise-cancelling headphones?

Also, most people in the Head-Fi community will tell you to stay away from Bose and Monster products (besides Turbines) as they cost too much for what you're getting. To be honest, they're more of a fashion statement than anything. You're paying big for the brand, not the product itself.

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 12
Welcome to Head-Fi.

Honestly I don't think any of those are good options. The HD595s are open backed which lets sound out and in so not the best for noisy environments. I do agree that both of the others aren't bad just nowhere near worth $300. Sorry that's all I can give you right now my family is almost here. Good luck!

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks it seems like a great place.

Yea I was thinking they seemed overpriced and from everything I read the 595's give you a better sound for half the price of the other two.  The monster's are out the construction seems pretty crappy for $300.

I really do not live in a noisy apartment complex and I knew the HD595 do have sound bleed out as well as no noise reduction from the outside environment,

If I am not concerned about a noisy environment would the HD595's be the better choice for an entry level set of phones?

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 12
Well, since you like rock, Grado sr60s are kind of seen as the "gateway drug" to becoming an audiophile. They have an in-your-face sound which many like with rock, and I'd imagine that would be good with some rap as well, though I'm not sure. However, they're completely open so I wouldn't suggest taking them on a plane.

You honestly might just be better off buying one open pair for home use and some IEMs for when you're out-and-about - ESPECIALLY in noisy areas like on the plane or subway. Considering the price of the cans you already selected, you could find a fairly good pair of IEMs with the money left over if you decide to go for the Grados.

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 12
Cool I will look into the Grado's

As far as in ear I actually just got a brand new pair of Kilp Image S4 for 40 bucks and they are actually pretty dang good and I got them for about half of what they cost in the stores.

They have great isolation and I use them at work everyday and at lunch as well. 

SO an open back pair I am not against just never used them before.

Does anyone have strong feelings about the HD595's?

Jun 20, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 12
I found the SR60s to be a bit too harsh in the treble for my liking and a bit lacking in bass. Different pads lessened some of these issues. For the price though they are wonderful. I'll recommend the Alessandro MS1i which can be found for around $100. It's supposed to have a smoother treble and better bass. You could also give the Grado SR225is a look. Grados aren't very comfortable for me though I do like the house sound.

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 12
I have strong feelings about the 595's: Don't get them.
biggrin.gif

They were my first "real" headphone and I wished I had just went straight to my Grado 225i's and especially AKG 702's instead (or some others that I considered but never got that I'm still sure are better from reading around the forums).

They are decent, but not worth the price and not very "forward" or exciting as they (sellers) try to make them to be. They are generally boring, thin sounding, and have the Senn veil. Not very resolving or "hi-fi" at all, low-fi I'd say.

I would go for some Grado or MS1i's as mentioned for sure. Comfort can be an issue with bowl pads though. My 225i's aren't the most comfortable (light weight though and small).

I listen to mostly rock (that covers a lot though, all decades and genres) and metal btw.

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 12
hahahaha actually I did finally decide and ended up getting the HD595's.  Overall they seem like a comfortable set and a great intro set of cans for me.  I actually was able to get them for $99 so it was a really good deal.  I am also planning to grab an intro portable amp in the future.  Thanks everyone for the advice I will update when I get them and let everyone know how it all turned out and how I like them.

Jun 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 12
Well, ok, I hope you like them...I did at first because they were my first "real" cans (although I never did REALLY like them) but the other 2 I have gotten blow them away imo.

They are comfortable at least. And $99 isn't bad (although I wouldn't pay more than $25 for them in retrospect) but I doubt you'll be able to sell them back for that (especially on here, maybe on some other forum with less knowledgeable users) if you don't like them. I'd sell mine back, but I just can't let anyone buy them from me when I know there are (imo) better options out there for the same money (or a bit more)...even if I only charged $50 on up.

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 12
I was going to suggest a pair of JVC Rx-900s.  I'm listening to them right now, and the isolation is great.  They're at the most $70 new, comfy, and have nice soundstage.  Sennheisers are the most open over-ear headphones I've ever heard, so that's not the way to go for it.  HD555s sound great if you're looking for less bass-heavy and more neutral headphones.  But like everybody else says "Sennheiser veil this, impedance that."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back