What headphones do YOU usually use when watching movies?
Jun 30, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #32 of 47
Grado SR60i plugged into my computer's front side headphone jack (Realtek ALC889A), which seems to push much more power to them than any of my DAP's, or my little FiiO amps. No EQ or effects applied.

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

DT990's are amazing with dolby headphone when watching movies. Soundstage and bass is just unbelievable for a $240 can, but too bad i found their treble too grado'ish and over-done for me to appreciate them in music :frowning2:

Tried

PC > ffdshow Dolby stereo to surround decode + surround to headphone HTRF filters > Maverick Tube Magic D1 SS hp out > DT900/600

Great for everything but anime.  Amazing bass and soundstage that make me look over my shoulder, but high pitched Japanese female voices = bleeding ears!  I only made it through 2 eps of Shana, before I couldn't take it anymore.

Hopefully I'll have time to try out my new HD650 with the same setup tonight.

Jun 30, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #37 of 47
sr80/ syberia steel series
macbook pro
none 
none really im not much of a movie buff!!

i waste my time searching the net or editing photos while listening with my grados

Jul 1, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #40 of 47

Quote:
Tried

PC > ffdshow Dolby stereo to surround decode + surround to headphone HTRF filters > Maverick Tube Magic D1 SS hp out > DT900/600

Great for everything but anime.  Amazing bass and soundstage that make me look over my shoulder, but high pitched Japanese female voices = bleeding ears!  I only made it through 2 eps of Shana, before I couldn't take it anymore.

Hopefully I'll have time to try out my new HD650 with the same setup tonight.

IMO, when it comes to voice recognition and getting things done, the HD650 trounces all in this area. Its diffusefield atmosphere that it brings out is simply gorgeous-- it sounds like very natural, transparent and so life-like. It's like your the director or in the audience (somewhere in the front row)  The DT990's give more breathing air, pinpoint accuracy and make it sound  3Dimensional-type,  but at the coast of mids beeing scooped out + there's too much artificial colouring, sszzzz, ksssss sound can be annoying if you have trained ears(*duh* it's a treble oriented headphone, what did you expect?). However, watching Stalone/Westley Snipes/ in your face horror/action movies, the DT990's trounces all with the eargasmic bass reflex system that leaves any type of bass-head lover slack jawed.

Overall, I've been enjoying many anime/manga's such as 'Hellsing Ultimate', 'One Piece', 'Bleach' and a few more  with my newly HD650's. The voices are so "I can't believe it's not butter" smooth and so fine.

I want to sell my DT990's to lower the herd to 2 headphones, but I just love their bass and everything else about em', but I hate their tonalty/artificialness in music. Sigh...

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #43 of 47
I use the audio out's of the Samsung HDTV and usually use the M^3 or equivalent with the Sennheiser 600. At this moment I' using the Burson with O.K. results. Doesn't have the Bass slam or extension up top of the better available, but does O.K.. Source is the Oppo BDP-83 via HDMI to the Samsung.

The 600 has good balance and won't unduly bludgeon the ears like some peak driven others. Good Vocal clarity...

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #45 of 47
I don't do a lot of movie watching but when I do I usually use my AD2000 or DT770/80 depending on my mood and isolation needs. Both are fed from a uDac to an EF2. They are exceptionally comfortable and provide a good level of bass coupled with great soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back