What headphone/earphones are you using at work? (that doesn't block too much noise)
Jun 27, 2006 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

aluren

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been trying to listen to some music at work. A portable cd player is in order. However, what kind of headphones/earphones are you using where you can enjoy your music and hear when someone is trying to talk to you?

i know probably my stock ipod buds will do, but anything else that has better sound quality? my Beyer DT880 is too big to be wearing and it doesn't look as professional (i'm an auditor) as something small. (makes it seem like i'm working at a studio rather than an office...) my Shure e3c's are out of the question since they block out all the noise... i would like something that's easy to put on/take off as well... any suggestions?

Jun 27, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 17
Aluren,

I audit, too. Phones I bring in to work are either my Grado 325i or Senn HD650. I keep the volume quite reasonable most of the time...but there are instances when a colleague is yacking loudly for a while and I nudge the volume to drown them out. FYI - we're allowed headphones or low volume radios; however, I realize not all workplaces are the same.

Good luck with your decision making.

Jun 27, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 17
AKG K81DJ of course.

Jun 27, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 17
Depending upon the mood/need that strikes me, I use my Sennheiser PX-300s or my AKG-K701s, which I carry back and forth between work and home almost every day. I bought 2 Corda Arias so I could take one to the office and leave it there, so that's my main amp at work. I occasionally use my RSA SR-71 as well just for a change of pace. My source is either Pandora.com piped to my USB out to the Corda USB in or an iPod using an ALO LOD silver cotton interconnect.
340smile.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
I've been trying to listen to some music at work. A portable cd player is in order. However, what kind of headphones/earphones are you using where you can enjoy your music and hear when someone is trying to talk to you?

i know probably my stock ipod buds will do, but anything else that has better sound quality? my Beyer DT880 is too big to be wearing and it doesn't look as professional (i'm an auditor) as something small. (makes it seem like i'm working at a studio rather than an office...) my Shure e3c's are out of the question since they block out all the noise... i would like something that's easy to put on/take off as well... any suggestions?

We just moved offices and I am in the exact same situation. I have Ety's, but did not want to wear them because they are too isolating. I have been considering the Senn PX100's and Grado's SR-60's. While I think the Grados may be better for sound quality, I think the Senn's may have it on comfort and less noise leakage. They are also smaller, and may look less unusual in the office. I thought about buds, but the consensus is that there are not really good quality buds. Its funny, I want to be able to hear around me (i.e. phones and people), but I do not want my cans to leak out too much sound.

What I really want is something small that will give me the same sound signature as my Senn HD-600's with my new Clix that I am using to sample music from URGE (@ 192k).
600smile.gif
A big request, but it never hurts to ask!

Jun 28, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #13 of 17
I'm also a fan of the PX100 for this kind of usage. Small, lightweight, not leaky, and completely open.

Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
What I really want is something small that will give me the same sound signature as my Senn HD-600's with my new Clix that I am using to sample music from URGE (@ 192k).
600smile.gif
A big request, but it never hurts to ask!

The PX100 is the portable phone that sounds most like the HD 600 to me. It has the Sennheiser house sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back