What goes in-between my Denon AH-D5000 and laptop/Ipad.
Sep 23, 2012 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

syryanyang

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a total newbie when it comes to hi-fi. I recently bought Denon AH-D5000 which is my first high-end cans. I really enjoyed it but still feel something is missing. After tons of research I realized I need a DAC, but not sure about whether a headphone amplifier is necessary. My budget is a bit tight at this moment. I'm looking at Fiio E10 or/and E11 or E17. Can anyone give me some opinion? On a side note, I can get little dot I+ for just under $100.
Thank you all for helping me out.

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 18
I do not think "need" is the appropriate word here. The D5000 are very easily driven, and will work with most devices quite swimmingly. Adding an additional component may give you more features or similar, but it really depends on what you're trying to "fix" - what specifically are you after, what is "missing"? (Is it simply that the initial out of the box "wow" has worn off and you want to recapture that? or what?).

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:
I do not think "need" is the appropriate word here. The D5000 are very easily driven, and will work with most devices quite swimmingly. Adding an additional component may give you more features or similar, but it really depends on what you're trying to "fix" - what specifically are you after, what is "missing"? (Is it simply that the initial out of the box "wow" has worn off and you want to recapture that? or what?).

I agree with you on the "wow" part. I can't really elaborate what's missing except the volumn's a bit low. And the audio card on my laptop's quite crappy.

Sep 23, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 18
How much do you want to spend?
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #5 of 18
The e17 is a very nice budget setup for your denon's. You can't go wrong with it and it also makes for a great portable.

Sep 23, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 18
I agree with you on the "wow" part. I can't really elaborate what's missing except the volumn's a bit low. And the audio card on my laptop's quite crappy.

Now, here's my question:

Is it "low" and "crappy" after you jumped on the Internet and read a bazillion people talking about how much money they've spent and how that makes them more enlightened, or did it sound "low" and "crappy" right out of the box? :wink:

Anyways, FiiO makes nice enough products, and that's where I'd steer you as well. They will easily cleave your head off with the D5000.

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
Strictly under $200

O2 amp will do quite nicely if you don't mind having some bulk. If its for home use it should be a non issue and a great bargain for what you pay.

@obob, long time no see. Haven't seen you on the Diary thread in ages :).

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
I don't think you need 500mw to feed the Denons.  They're already crazy sensitive as it is.  A low cost fio amp/dac combo will do you good, don't need much more.

TMRaven I sold my Fiio E9 for the O2 because it was superior to it, and drove the Denons properly. It has very low output impedance and is dead silent and super clean.

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 18
I don't think you need 500mw to feed the Denons.

But I want to be deaf! :tongue_smile:

TMRaven I sold my Fiio E9 for the O2 because it was superior to it, and drove the Denons properly. It has very low output impedance and is dead silent and super clean.

Honestly Zsource doesn't really apply to this context because we're talking about an incredibly stable headphone. Either is perfectly acceptable and major differences are likely attributable to gain stage and noise floor differences, as well as proper channel balance. The TPA6120 is an entirely suitable and appropriate driver for the D2000/5000/7000 line.

Are you implying the E9 didn't drive your Denons properly?  I know there's the argument for the best damping factor possible, but that, among many other things, tends to get blown out of proportion.  

Damping Factor is an all an illusion...*waves hands like Jack Sparrow*

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
Are you implying the E9 didn't drive your Denons properly?  I know there's the argument for the best damping factor possible, but that, among many other things, tends to get blown out of proportion.  

Yes I am telling you that Raven. The Fiio E9 has a high output impedance which does not play nicely with the Denons. If the Denons were not sensitive this would not be an issue. But they are so it messes up their frequency response. You get bloated bass and piercing treble on this set-up. On the O2 you get the intended sound signature. I should know I owned both and was never happy with the E9 and Denon 5000 pairing. When I got the O2 it was a clear step up. I've since moved on from the O2 but its still a great amp and worth recommending if you are on a budget. I feel the Tralucent T1 and Leckerton UHA6 MKII are noticeably better than even this amp. But they are more expensive.

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
Now, here's my question:
Is it "low" and "crappy" after you jumped on the Internet and read a bazillion people talking about how much money they've spent and how that makes them more enlightened, or did it sound "low" and "crappy" right out of the box?
wink.gif

Anyways, FiiO makes nice enough products, and that's where I'd steer you as well. They will easily cleave your head off with the D5000.

But wouldn't I benefit more from a DAC rather than an amp?

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
Now, here's my question:
Is it "low" and "crappy" after you jumped on the Internet and read a bazillion people talking about how much money they've spent and how that makes them more enlightened, or did it sound "low" and "crappy" right out of the box?
wink.gif

I get you point. So which model do you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back