What Gain Setting?
Jul 17, 2006 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chouman

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone!

So I currently own the Headroom Micro Amp and a pair of Sennheiser HD 595s (50 ohm version). Can someone please explain the different gain settings. I do not want to meddle around too much with them for fear of damaging the headphones. I currently run the headphones out of the headphone output from my laptop (waiting for micro dac to arrive) and also the line out of the ipod. I only notice that I have to change the volume for different types of music, namely musicals or classical the volume usually needs to go up significantly more than pop or rock but I don't know if I need to tweak gain settings to achieve optimal sound.

Thanks again Headfi for your knowledge and this fun and helpful community.

Jul 17, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 5
Tweak the gain so that the volume is right for what you're listening to. It'll depend on a few things; among them the volume of the recording and the ease with which your headphones can be driven. As long as you're not driving the amp into clipping you won't damage anything (aside from your ears, but that's down to your own judgement
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Hope that helps.
Ben

Jul 17, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 5
With my Micro I use the "low" setting with IEMs and depending on the source level both other settings for my full size cans. Sometimes the high setting is too much and I like the sound of the amp at around 50% ~ 60 % volume.

Don't worry about damage to your cans, just freely experiment with the gain and use what sounds best.

Jul 18, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 5
Real simple. Set it to low, if you can listen with it cranked out to max and still want more volume then go to high otherwise low is preferable.

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 5
Only thing I have to add is that being too far in either extreme on the pot (volume nob) should be avoided. Too high has been covered. With the volume nob near nothing, you can run into driver balance issues... not harmful but sounds terrible.
biggrin.gif

-Angler
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back