What dynamic headphones sound most similar to electrostats?
Oct 16, 2010 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
Hello friends,

I very much enjoy my Stax SRM-313/Stax SR-303 combo (would that be called a "Classic 2" system?). There are times, however, I don't have access to an electrostatic amp, or don't feel like setting up the whole system...

...For those times, what dynamic headphones most approximates the electrostat experience, especially in terms of midrange effortlessness?

I don't want to contaminate the jury, but I've good things in this regard about the little discussed Sony CD900ST. Is this true? Any dynamic better than the Sony in this manner?

Thanks.

Oct 16, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 16
Of those I have heard I can easily say the AKG K1000.

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 16
I have the CD900ST, i actually like it better than my Lambda Nova. It's quite possibly closer to the electrostatic sound than the usual suspects at this pricepoint. The bass is linear and pretty tight. The midrange is more neutral than that of the Lambda (more body in the low mids), and the treble is smoother. It's not especially fast or detailed but it does sound quite effortless. Keep in mind it's the only dynamic headphone i've owned since last year so i don't often listen to dynamic headphones anymore. Other than that the Fostex T50RP seems like another good candidate from what i read.

Oct 17, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 16
Stax Classic 2 owners, unite!

When I moved from my K501 to Stax 3030 I felt their midrange had some common traits, but I find it very hard to describe. Maybe some sort of... purity? Microdetail? I don't know. On the other hand, the effortlessness of the electrostatic sound, that I have also noticed and I enjoy a lot, is not to be found IMO in any of the other phones that I own / have owned (HD600, K500, K501, K1000). Not even close. I would look into a portable Stax or perhaps into orthos (never heard one) if I were you. Also try the K500 / K501 if you can (I like piano through these).

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 16
I find that various IEM's and some earbuds have some, but not all of the clarity I find with stats. I suspect it is because  they are light so there is less overhang and they  have less intermodulation distortion because their diaphragms do not have to move as much as a conventional dynamic driver.  In that respect they are like stats which don't move as much as dynamics because they are generally very much larger in surface area than dynamics.

The larger dynamics often have their virtues but even phones such as the the HD800 have a basic raspy sound that I find hard to accept after stats.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 16
Based purely on my perception of realism at CanJam2010, I think the dynamic Etymotic Mc5 sounds closer to electrostats and magnetostatics than any other 'phones I have heard. After listening for a short while to the LCD2 though, it seems like there isn't really a comparison or subtitute to be had for that particular 'phone (the Audeze.)

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 16
Qualia and bass light version of the R10.

Oct 21, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 16
I find that my balanced SA5000s do a creditable job of delivering what I heard from my Stax phones. (404 + 006t)  Maybe consider it a poor-mans Qualia???

Oct 22, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #10 of 16
Orthodynamic would be the clear choice IMO.  Just in terms of technology, they are planar drivers like electrostats, but can be plugged into normal amps.  If you can afford it, you should look into the LCD2 or upcoming HE6.  Or if you're on a budget, hunt down a pair of Fostex T20v2, or if you're feeling lazy, get a new Fostex T50RP.  They're physically faster than any dynamic headphone so they're going to be closer to the electrostat experience.  Like electrostats, orthos have speed and detail without harshness.

JH13 would also be a good choice if you want IEMs.

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 16

mobbaddict said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the CD900ST, i actually like it better than my Lambda Nova. It's quite possibly closer to the electrostatic sound than the usual suspects at this pricepoint. The bass is linear and pretty tight. The midrange is more neutral than that of the Lambda (more body in the low mids), and the treble is smoother. It's not especially fast or detailed but it does sound quite effortless. Keep in mind it's the only dynamic headphone i've owned since last year so i don't often listen to dynamic headphones anymore. Other than that the Fostex T50RP seems like another good candidate from what i read.

It's good for reference, Thanks for your effort! It is just the solution for my problem.

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 16
I've heard more than a few comments on the site that the AD2000s sound very similar to stats. An extremely effortless, airy presentation coupled with tight bass and a beautiful midrange. I'll be receiving mine next week.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back