What Does Jade Goody's Life and Death Say About Modern Society?
Mar 22, 2009 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

DrBenway

Headphoneus Supremus
First of all, it's terribly sad that Jade Goody has died. The loss of any precious human life is a tragedy. I write that without irony, and with sympathy to her family and friends.

However. What does it say about the current state of human society that a loutish, untalented, bigoted person such as Jade Goody could rise to the status that she enjoyed? She made tens of millions of dollars by behaving as a mouth-breathing bigot for the delictation of a worldwide audience.

Am I the only one who has a problem with this...?

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 32
You've only just noticed now that untalented morons can become rich by doing nothing of any worth?

The vast majority of contemporary authors, musicians, and actors fall into this category.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 32
It says a great deal about the current entertainment mentality, as well as any big corporate mentality, anything for a buck. We, the citizens, of this world economy, are just fools for watching it. If no one paid attention to the Paris Hilton's the world, they would not exist.

These people are making money the likes of which they would never see in a real career over a lifetime, although, the corporations are making loads more by taking advantage of this fact. I don't blame anyone going for money, but if we didn't watch, listen, read, blog, about them, the advertising dollars wouldn't be there for the companies to collect. That is one of the reasons the US is in the shape it is in, get the dollar quick, no need to work for your money. I understand why we get a world reputation that is not favorable.

Anyway, that is my two cents.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However. What does it say about the current state of human society that a loutish, untalented, bigoted person such as Jade Goody could rise to the status that she enjoyed? She made tens of millions of dollars by behaving as a mouth-breathing bigot for the delictation of a worldwide audience.

I think you overestimated the appeal of Jade Goody here.

Mar 22, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
worldwide audience.

I think you overestimated the appeal of Jade Goody here.

x2, I've never heard of this woman.

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 32
X3 I never heard of her, either, before I saw this thread.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

What does it say about the current state of human society that a loutish, untalented, bigoted person such as Jade Goody could rise to the status that she enjoyed?

As if she was the only one. This is nothing new. It's been going on since the beginning of time. People love to hate other people. They need an anti-hero to focus their own hatred and venom on to make them subconsciously feel better about their own shortcomings.

Quote:

That is one of the reasons the US is in the shape it is in

Jade Goody is British so don't blame the U.S.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 32
i agree there are bigger issues facing the world
confused_face.gif

Gordon Brown should not be commenting on media soap operas - he should be saving jobs and livelyhoods!!

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #12 of 32
Well, now that natural selection no longer applies to humans in most parts of the world, what did you expect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back