What does he mean by brick wall, high end and all?
Sep 10, 2013 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

x-yuri

New Head-Fier
Hi, recently I run across an excerpt of the interview with Josh Homme, former guitarist of Kyuss. But English is not my native language and I can't get what he's saying (the highlighted part):

KYUSS famously opened for METALLICA in Australia in 1993. METALLICA's soundman promised KYUSS they'd have a full PA during their set but quickly changed his mind after KYUSS plugged in and turned on. "We douched them," Homme laughed. "On a frequency spectrum, we were like a brick wall until you hit the high end — and then there was no high end. I mean, high end if not fun for anybody; you don't party with high end." Years later, Homme was playing with QUEENS at Slim's in San Francisco, high on escsasy and being interviewed about his METALLICA experience. "This guy I knew was making a movie about METALLICA, and I was trying so hard not to say something negative. I think I talked about the rider or something, and then I said meeting them was like meeting George Bush. My eyes must've been spinning."

We douched them probably means like we did them. And I have no idea what he's talking about after that. Also I didn't get what is the rider and why his eyes were spinning. I hope you wouldn't start to argue if he's right or wrong. Thanks in advance.

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 3
I can only guess about the first part, maybe it means that their sound was heavier than Metallica's so they thought the sound guy might try to compromise their sound.

A "rider" is a contract that a band's management makes with a venue that lays out what the band wants for the show.  Certain things that are usually related to light, sound and stage set-up.  It can also involve other things, even what sort of food the band is provided...if, say, a band likes a certain brand of Jamaican ginger beer, they can demand that it is provided to them.

Famously, Ozzy Osbourne's rider included a bowl of only brown M & M candies in the dressing room.  They demanded it because it's a small, obscure item that's easy to miss.  If the venue read the rider carefully enough to provide the M & M's, they could be reasonably assured that all the major items had been covered too.

About the eyes spinning, in America we have a phrase "eyes rolling in the back of your head", where you are expressing disbelief at something, or you are expressing something ironic.  Comparing meeting Metallica to meeting George Bush was probably meant ironically.   

Sep 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 3

Famously, Ozzy Osbourne's rider included a bowl of only brown M & M candies in the dressing room.  They demanded it because it's a small, obscure item that's easy to miss.  If the venue read the rider carefully enough to provide the M & M's, they could be reasonably assured that all the major items had been covered too.

That's from Waynes World 2 !

- Van Halen had a "no brown M & M " clause for the reason you mentioned

Users who are viewing this thread

Back