What do you think of Spotify?
Jul 18, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #31 of 78
Good program. I've been using it for a long time and it has introduced me to tons of new music. It's a shame though that they added the hours/month limit to the free version. I got the premium version because I could not stand the ads anymore and I wanted to use it on my phone which comes in handy for me all of the time. The mobile app is a little buggy and lacking in features but I feel they will continue to add and improve. I also think they hit a good price point considering all the features that come with the premium. To me it's worth it just from the sheer amount of new music that I've discovered and now listen to all the time. And if it'll help anybody out I can send an invite too :)

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #32 of 78
Good program. I've been using it for a long time and it has introduced me to tons of new music. It's a shame though that they added the hours/month limit to the free version. I got the premium version because I could not stand the ads anymore and I wanted to use it on my phone which comes in handy for me all of the time. The mobile app is a little buggy and lacking in features but I feel they will continue to add and improve. I also think they hit a good price point considering all the features that come with the premium. To me it's worth it just from the sheer amount of new music that I've discovered and now listen to all the time. And if it'll help anybody out I can send an invite too :)

can I get the invite :]

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #34 of 78
I paid for premium Pandora to get rid of the ads.  They really weren't any worse than listening to a commercial radio station, and maybe better, around one add every five songs.  The price was just low enough to make it worthwhile to me, even though I don't use it much.

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #35 of 78
I signed up for premium day 1 it came out after hearing about it from a colleague. It's everything I've been looking for from a music service; can't believe I didn't hear about it earlier.

There's definitely a noticeable improvement in sound quality over my local library of songs, which I typically rip in v0 or 320K before iTunes converts them.

So far, my only gripes are occasional sync issues with my iPhone (syncs 95% of the time; for the other 5%, I'd have to remove hung song from the playlist and re-add) and no gapless playback.

Loving it so far!

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #36 of 78
I don't like how Spotify sorts out my library, especially on my android phone. I just get a long list of songs with no way of sorting. Sure I can do a search for an artist, but then what's the point of your library. They're queue system is stupid compared to Rdio's. The user has no control over it. On Rdio, you can add as many songs/albums into your queue for future listening and rearrange them however you like. It's all cloud-based so I can listen then rearrange on rdio's site using Chrome, then listen to it on my phone. With Spotify your only option is to use the app. If you want to listen to music on a friend's computer, youre gonna have to bring that app with you. Also the social elements and music discovery options on Rdio are far more superior than that of Spotify.

On Rdio, I can click on an artist/song/album and see the 50 most recent listeners. I can then check out their profile, see they're recent activity, what they've added to their collection (like Spotify's library but better) and see pretty much their whole history. If I like what I see I can then follow them (similar to twitter I hear, don't know i dont use twitter) and on my homepage, I get a page full of music that people I'm following are into at the moment. You can also write reviews for a song, artist or album, which usually just turns out to be a place for people to comment. Unless you have friends that have both Facebook and Spotify, Spotify's main source of music discovery without help from a third party will be through the "Top Lists" which is useless for me. Spotify also lacks an artist radio station, at least the US version which is helpful in music discovery.

One of the downsides to Rdio is the sound quality. It isn't up to par with Mog and Spotify. It's not entirely noticeable with every single song I listen to, but it is noticeable. The size of they're music library also isn't near that of Spotify. In fact, they have the smallest library out of all major US music subscription services. Spotify's app is also a lot faster than Rdio's. Songs play quicker. There's less load time. You can skip through parts of the song with little to no lag. Also, the ability to add songs from your iTunes libary into Spotify is a huge plus for me. This way there aren't any holes in my library and I can stop using iTunes entirely.

I really want to like just one service. I think for now I will continue to support Rdio. They are a smaller company and I like where they are headed. They are always trying to expand their music library and they do listen to their customers. They're android/iOS apps are better than Spotify's. They really just need to stay up to par in the sound quality department with Mog and Spotify and update their desktop client.

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #37 of 78
I bought Spotify Premium. I really like the interface, but now I'm finding out that they're not actually offering 320 kbps streaming like they said they do (at least not on most of their tracks it appears). I signed up for a MOG trial today. I don't like the interface as much, but it's improving it seems. I also like having radio.

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #38 of 78
I got my invite so downloaded the interface.  The first ad was pretty bad.  I was listening to some jazz and all of a sudden I had a 30 second rap sample.  A pretty poorly targeted ad.  I don't know how they can make much money from ads that poorly targeted.  I know I wouldn't be happy with it if I was an advertiser.

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #39 of 78
I got the free version. So far it's pretty decent. I'm surprised at how large the library is for a free music streaming service. Not a fan of the commercial interruptions but I imagine that's necessary for a free service. I'd say it's the best alternative to piracy out right now even noting it's flaws.

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #40 of 78
It doesn't work for me at all.  I use MOG and Pandora on my iPhone exclusively.  I never use them on my PC.  All streaming in Pandora, and streaming or downloads in MOG are on my phone.  I frequently stream and album from MOG while in a record store making the decision on what albums to buy.  Since free Spotify only works on my PC, it's worthless.  Since even premium requires the real work to be done on the PC and synced to my iPhone, it's just as worthless.

It's also crashed twice.  I'm guessing because it's choking on my large iTunes library, which I'd prefer it not scan anyway.

Edit: I just saw how to stop it from scanning my local machine. 

Jul 23, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #41 of 78
I've had Spotify ( in the US ) for a few days now. So far, I like it. Although, syncing to my Atrix seems like it'll take a while. At the moment, I'm listening to Tom Petty's "Mojo" album, and it's sounding really good, with my little set up. I think this service is really nice, if you're interested in an album, but aren't 100% sure. This will put those hesitations to rest. For or against. I'm probably going to buy this "Mojo" CD this weekend.

The only adverts I've heard were about bands and/or Spotify itself. Nothing off topic, which, if you're going to have ads, isn't bad.

Jul 23, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #42 of 78
I have a link to a site that will get you an in invite, but you have to give them your Facebook info. If you want a link, send me a pm.

That being said, I went the route above for the free version and I do like the fact that it integrates your iTunes catelog.

I am going to stick with MOG, though. While both use 320kbps for the computer, only MOG streams to iOS at 320kbps on wifi and I think it is the only one that allows wireless downloads at 320 Kbps. It was the reason I left Rhapsody and will keep me with MOG until spotify upgrades. I use AirPlay units around the house, so this is a critical feature.

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #45 of 78

Quote:
Spotify does 320 Kbps to mobile and downloading of 320 Kbps but you have to go premium.

Is this a new feature?  According to this article, their mobile app maxes out at 160kbps.  The rest of the article also compares the two services and give MOG the top honors in nearly every category.  I still plan on using the Spotfiy free player for the occasion when they might have an album not available on MOG, but I can't see any reason to switch at this point.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back