What do you guys think of this suit?
Sep 24, 2005 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ls20

1000+ Head-Fier
Bought this set today at Express Men

ignore the stupid thumb-ring - and i didnt pull the sleeves of my dress shirt out.. i just threw on the suitfor the photo

here is a photo of the drape
suit.jpg

suit2.jpg

color - with black leather wallet for reference - i had bad exposure
suitcolor.jpg

2-button jacket with dual side vents and matching pants. says "100% superfine italian wool"--felt just like worsted wool to me.
color is black with really thin/faded brown stripes... i think the jacket fits fine, but i will have the pants altered.

im interviewing with a few oil/gas companies (exxonM, anadarko, etc) next week. will also wear it to Philip Glass(!) in october. what do you think? are the stripes too much for my conservative purposes? i wanted plain navy, but the price of this suit SCREAMED at me
cool.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 27
This is all you need, unless you’ve already got one? That’s why the picture is cropped right?

pimp%20hat%20revised.jpg

It does look nice. Conservative but not boring. Good luck with the interview.

Mitch

Sep 24, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
This is all you need, unless you’ve already got one? That’s why the picture is cropped right?

Mitch

ROFLMAO...good one, Mitch. I had to tear DH away from City of Heroes to look at that.

Good luck with the interviews, hope Philip likes it too!

Sep 24, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 27
gotta agree with the others, you be pimpin' my friend . . .
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver

It does look nice. Conservative but not boring. Good luck with the interview.

Mitch

i took the photo in my room. the room is so small that, at the lens' widest angle (35mm)--which it was at--i couldnt have captured my mug even if i Wanted to
etysmile.gif

everyone said "plain navy or gray" for business... but i suppose the stripes are not So bold to draw too much attention....

Sep 24, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 27
everyone said "plain navy or gray" for business... but i suppose the stripes are not So bold to draw too much attention....[/QUOTE]

The suit is still basically conservative and shows a little more character to me. Very nice fit too. I think I would find a shirt with a color similar to the stripes to draw them out a little more. If you remove your jacket, lets say... a gold toned shirt and the stripped pants would mesh together better. The tie in the picture looks like it would still work with a gold or taupe shirt.

Sep 24, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #7 of 27
yea, but you have to watch the flash in interviews, better to be reserved, then bust it out when you're hired

Sep 24, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 27
That is such a beautiful suit; best of luck on the interview! However, I really would change the shirt / tie selection. As someone that periodically interviews people, I'll tell you some combos to try that work for me:

White shirt / Red, Maroon, Navy Tie
White shirt / Garcia or Carlos Tie
Light blue shirt / Red, Maroon, Dark Blue Tie
Dark Blue shirt / Dark Blue Print Tie or Pink/Blue Tie

I would stay away from the Dark Shirt lighter tie combination; it doesn't really bother me as much as it would some of my customers.

Sep 24, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #10 of 27
I think the suit is nice color. The pin stripes are welcome addition and are subtle. The shirt and tie color should go. A dark shirt and light tie is more like for a night on the town. A light shirt and dark tie is better for work.

Sep 24, 2005 at 8:13 AM Post #13 of 27
In Austin, Interviewing with energy companies this week... are you going to the Engineering Expo?

anyway... The suit looks nice, but I dont like the tie. Best of luck in your job search!

Sep 24, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #14 of 27
That's a nice suit. It fits you well. You made a good choice.

The dark shirt and light tie is not really suitable for business; it's more of a casual look, unless you're in certain types of sales. Also, you may want to get measured and properly fitted for a shirt. The neck on that shirt rides too high, which suggests that it may be a size too small for you.

Sep 24, 2005 at 8:20 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMacDaddy
In Austin, Interviewing with energy companies this week... are you going to the Engineering Expo?

anyway... The suit looks nice, but I dont like the tie. Best of luck in your job search!

natural sciences expo on monday, and then this month a bunch of firms are recruiting heavily in the geo department (we have our own placement service)

yeah, the tie worked with that shirt i had on, but neither was meant for this suit; i wore them with just trousers. definately going for new tops tomorrow, if Rita allows for safe driving to Barton Creek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back