What do you guys do (JOB)??
Apr 3, 2003 at 2:21 PM Post #62 of 211
Quote:

advanced customer hostility and belittlement training

It wasn't really fair, JMT's bank is probably nothing like Wells Fargo or Citibank. I just hate it when the tellers don't even bother looking up, just keep chewing their gum and put their hands up to the slot for whatever I might be about to pass them.

Apr 3, 2003 at 4:23 PM Post #63 of 211
1987 - 2000: freelance computer journalist, specialized on hardware
2000 - who knows: chief of hardware for CHIP Online (www.chip.de), then senior editor for CHIP (oldest German computer magazin) in the hardware section

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Apr 3, 2003 at 4:39 PM Post #64 of 211
Student, senior in HS. Next year I'll be going to UW-Madison for Computer Science.

Also, do any of you computer people wanna give advice to a kid who wants to be a computer programmer?

Apr 3, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #65 of 211
airline pilot
a.k.a. bus driver with extensive emergency procedures training
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2003 at 4:47 PM Post #66 of 211
Quote:

Originally posted by bralack42
Student, senior in HS. Next year I'll be going to UW-Madison for Computer Science.

Also, do any of you computer people wanna give advice to a kid who wants to be a computer programmer?

Cultivate good interpersonal skills along with all of the technical know-how. Not that you don't have them already, but the biggest handicap I've seen in computer professionals of all types, but especially programmers, is in this area, and it can be a major career impediment.

Apr 3, 2003 at 5:05 PM Post #67 of 211
Quote:

Originally posted by bralack42

Spend as much time in front of a computer as you can. Make it the most important thing in your life. Try to make it in to addiction and don't rely only on a classroom to tech you want you need to know. Take the initiative to learn as much as you can on your own. Don't just read books but actually do things. Try to get gigs on the side even if for next to nothing or free just to get as much experience as you can. This will also give you a portfolio of projects you can show to future employers. From time to time I'm involved in interviewing people for development positions in our company and most of them could never show me things they have done only talk about what they can do or what training they have. Also a good programmer needs to know allot about deferent areas of computing like databases, networking etc. Don't forget you will always need to be learning new things, it never stops. In most jobs you will be limited in the varies technologies you can use so you need to do it on your own.

Apr 3, 2003 at 5:54 PM Post #68 of 211
Quote:

Originally posted by dariusf
initiative to make something of it

Very well said. I have a few friends some of them my formal computer store employees that have put in the time and effort to make this hobby in to a full blown careers and now make around 80-100k a year with high school diplomas. On the other hand I have friends that are in to computers that seem to try to make it for years and never succeed. I see allot of people that get out of collage with some IT degrees and think they are hot shots and when it comes to the real world projects just totally crumble.

ditto! If I go back to college and finish my degree, it will be in business or business management. I was a comp-sci major in the late '80s and I can think of only two courses (both senior level) that had anything to do with what I do now as a full time computer geek. I got more practical knowledge from my previous major, EE.

I don't say that to discourage any CompSci majors reading this, as I know CompSci schools have changed alot, but if you think you will be working in an IT/IS department somewhere, then you better pay attention to those accounting classes and know how to talk to the bean-counters.

Apr 3, 2003 at 6:06 PM Post #69 of 211
Well, my wife would say I am a professional student but technically I work on and off as a cryptographer and security expert, switching between the two ever 4 months or so with the Canadian Gov. On the weekends and later at night I work for the local Heart Institute working with anti-ischemic drugs. biochemist I guess is my official job title though I'm more like the lab's jack of all trades there,statistical analysis and technical editing is often thrown my way for some quick cash. I guess though in about a month I will start being a lawyer, since that is what I am in school for.

Apr 3, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #70 of 211
The best advice for someone who wants to work in computers is this: think about why you like computers. Try it before you commit yourself, i.e. set yourself some programming projects and see if you finish them. If you like computers because you can play games and chat and look at web sites, chances are programming isn't for you.
In the same way that too many people think that once a person works with computers they become expert with Excel and HTML and building networks, too many people equate enjoying games with enjoying programming. I still enjoy it sometimes but the best part of programming is when you're done, and everything works! If I could choose again I would probably do something different.

Apr 3, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #71 of 211
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
In the same way that too many people think that once a person works with computers they become expert with Excel and HTML and building networks, too many people equate enjoying games with enjoying programming. I still enjoy it sometimes but the best part of programming is when you're done, and everything works! If I could choose again I would probably do something different.

And so would I.

Apr 3, 2003 at 11:59 PM Post #72 of 211
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
If I could choose again I would probably do something different.

It's sad, but most people would say the same thing.

Apr 4, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #74 of 211
Quote:

Originally posted by SFbayArch
I'm an architect in San Francisco, thus the handle.

i'm an architect too... well not really. i can't really say that until i pass the license exam, don't i.

i graduated from Pratt Institute three years ago and now i'm an assistant project manager in a NY firm.

Apr 4, 2003 at 8:29 AM Post #75 of 211
I manage a residential home for the elderly. It's a rewarding job as we aim to improve people's health rather than just sit them down in front of the TV.

I hate paperwork and I hate the National Care Standards Commission as well becaue they are not interested in care standards but rather having neat documentation. They totally suck and are bad news to this profession.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back