What do you call
Apr 25, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #16 of 24
We call our taylor ham Pork Roll.

What do you call your fizzly sugared beverage? We call them soda.

It's quite funny how a simple sandwich can have so many different names. I know in new york they are "wedges", yet 100 miles away if you ask for a wedge at a hoagie place they say "what?"

Apr 26, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #18 of 24
Here in Portland, we call them Italian Sandwiches and they are made on a fresh long roll with your choice of meat (ham, salami, cappicola, etc) cheese, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, black olives, sour pickles, and topped with olive oil, salt/pepper. Originally made in the early 1900s as a quick lunch for the Italian men who worked down on the waterfront here in Portland.

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #19 of 24
Here in North Jersey they are subs. Nearly everyone that that calls them something different isn't native.

Apr 26, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #21 of 24
erm.... Lunch anybody ?
biggrin.gif

Nah, we call 'em Submarine Sandwiches or Baguettes like Mike pointed out.

Now our breakfast sanwiches in this area. Bacon, Eggs, Sausages or whatever are called BANJO's. Or they are at least called that on the fish docks.

It's funny though. Stray too far away from the fishing community in Hull in and the name draws a complete blank with people
confused.gif

FWIW, we have our own individual language down there!

Apr 27, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #23 of 24
We call 'em subs in Indiana

Apr 27, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #24 of 24
It's a shame to have to resort to the Ignore list... I thought racism was against head-fi policy.
rolleyes.gif

Anyways..

I'm not sure what they were called in Finnish, but I think ever since Subway moved in, you could get away with calling them Subs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back