What can I get for $300?
Nov 27, 2013 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

LAbiker85

New Head-Fier
I was going to buy the Bose QC15 solely for the purpose of noise cancelling feature. However I heard the noise cancelling headphones do put quite a pressure on your ears by creating a high frequency hissing sound resulting in discomfort when wearing them for more than 10 mins! This is definitely a deal breaker considering the fact that I was planning for this headphone for traveling. I really, REALLY hope I'm wrong tho.

The quest for finding the proper headphones continues! Suggest me something!

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 20
Technically noise cancelling creates an inverse wave of the same magnitude, which "destroys" the wave. This theoretically should actually have less pressure on the ears. Anyways, I found isolation to be better than noise cancelling even on airplanes. This is just my opinion. Noise cancelling is only good for constant sounds like as an airplane engine but it doesn't do anything for sudden sounds like sirens or a basketball dribbling. I currently have customs and if I don't want to hear what is going on around me, I put those on. A good second is any foam IEM. My preferences goes to anything that can fit shure olives for noise isolation.

Nov 28, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 20
The gents above know what they are talking about. IEMs are much better than noise canceling for rejecting noise.

I would recommend trying out a few IEMs with a reputable vendor since not everyone can handle sticking junk in their ears. Comfort will be key to the enjoyment of your IEMs.

Your biggest problem may be that you have a lot of choices at $300. Good luck.

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 20
I truly appreciate your help gentlemen!

I just bought the QC15 and shocked at the fact that it CANNOT play audio with NC feature off! Almost caused me dizziness after an hour of use!

Will return it the next day, and will choose something more neat, and I'll take anything that is highly portable.

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 20
Check out the VModa M80 or the Sennheiser PX100. Both are very portable, inexpensive, and have excellent sound quality. They are however, on-ear headphones meaning isolation/noise cancellation won't be the best.

If noise cancellation is your No 1. concern, you definitely need to find a good pair of IEMs i.e. Etymotic ER4s, TDK BA200s, or for the ultimate noise cancellation and sound quality custom IEMs!

Nov 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #10 of 20
  Check out the VModa M80 or the Sennheiser PX100. Both are very portable, inexpensive, and have excellent sound quality. They are however, on-ear headphones meaning isolation/noise cancellation won't be the best.

If noise cancellation is your No 1. concern, you definitely need to find a good pair of IEMs i.e. Etymotic ER4s, TDK BA200s, or for the ultimate noise cancellation and sound quality custom IEMs!

How would the Westone 3 compare to ER4s and BA200s they are down in price and have good isolation?

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #11 of 20
LA,

Charge your ipad, grab a sixpack, and sit down to joker's Multi-IEM review.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-303-iems-compared-noble-4s-added-11-28-13-p-813

Probably the best thread here on HeadFi. Good luck.

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 20
get a nice set of IEMs with comply ear tips. The Westone 3 are only $179, fantastic deal and highly respected on head-fi.
aeAqdO

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #13 of 20
go for customs IEMS, you can find some pretty good stuff for this price, or you can even remold your old iems into customs! 

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #14 of 20

How would the Westone 3 compare to ER4s and BA200s they are down in price and have good isolation?

Depends on your sound preference. I've never heard them, but from what I gather the W3s are a little V-shaped in sound signature. The ER4s are a standard in neutral presentation and the BA200s are somewhere in the middle with a slightly mid-centric presentation but overall good clarity. All three will provide good isolation with the shape of there housing and the use of either Comply foam tips or tri/biflange tips.

EDIT: apparently I need to mention that I HAVE heard the Ba200s and ER4s

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #15 of 20
I'll never understand why people post if they have never heard what is being discussed.
OP says he is not an audiophile. I suggest a cheap pair if IEM's to see if you get on with them. I started with Sennheiser CX300's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back