What can I expect with a better amp on planers
May 8, 2014 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

joespride

1000+ Head-Fier
Recently bought the HiFi Man HE-500 and have been impressed with the sound running out of my 2 amps

amp 1) Schiit Valhalla

amp 2) Ampsandsound SE84

Both amps drive the phones to listening levels at 30% or less on the volume knob, and unbearable levels at 1/2 volume.

Schiit says the valhalla is a poor match for planers and they suggest more power, (what I hear suggests otherwise, the phones have good solid defined bass, with impact, very good detail and a nice organic mid range as well as very respectable highs) I would have to assume Schiit's stance on using planers with valhalla is from measurements only and not actually listening. (I understand why they would do this after all you cannot try every phone on the market)

I wonder though what improvements I could expect with a more powerful amp ??

In my experience on speaker systems more powerful amps tended to be trade offs. IE... get more headroom and better bass at the expense of grain / brightness

I realize there are some expensive powerful amps that address both ends of the freq response, I am talking about 2 amps in close to the same price range IE...Valhalla - asgard 2,  or valhalla - lyr

anyone have experience with these comparisons or moved to a more powerful amp advice appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back