What book are you reading right now?
Oct 31, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #2,191 of 5,366

Quote:
Quote:

Good read so far

Just picked it up too.  I think the important thing to remember is that we all picked it up on Amazon instead of downloading it on the app store to our ipads...

I downloaded it, but I have it in my cart at Amazon, because I really do enjoy a real book...I like to take a nice hot bath and read...tough to do with the iPad...

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #2,193 of 5,366
Quote:
Just picked up Murakami's new (in English anyway) book 1Q84. After Dark was a disappointment, but I have high expectations!

Quote:
1Q84 is in my next Amazon shipment, definitely have high hopes for it as well.  At the very least, should be a good entertaining read.

Just about through Bruce Sterling's Holy Fire which has been surprisingly intriguing.  I also got through Cherie Priest's Ganymede last week.  Entertaining but was definitely my least favorite of her Clockwork Century books.

Same here crapmonster ^.

So I finished Kafka on the Shore, though I didn't feel so immediately after, I now feel it's a damn good book -- on many different levels.  Took a week or two to sink in.

Then I started After Dark which as manveru said wasn't as enthralling, but it's entertaining and keeps me flipping pages.

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #2,195 of 5,366
Thomas Harris, silence of lambs. Pretty interesting. 

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #2,198 of 5,366
The less you know of Murakami the better.  Just jump right in.  If you want a good starting point, I'd definitely start with Windup Bird Chronicle as I feel its equally his best and most accessible work.

If you don't feel like investing in a 600+ pg novel you may or may not like, I'd go with South of the Border, West of the Sun or Norwegian Wood.  Both are quick short reads that can be done in a night or two, depending on the type of reader you are.  The only caveat being, neither of these really exhibit Murakami's signature magical realism.

Generally speaking, if you like anything from Gabriel Garcia Marquez to Kurt Vonnegut, I'm sure you'll love Murakami to some extent.

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #2,204 of 5,366
"Big Fish" [9.2/10]: Watched this Tim Burton film again after not having seen it for several years, and as I had remembered it is a great film. In the end the most important thing for me in a film is a great story and "Big Fish" is a great story about the importance of stories. I saw something different in this film this time around (maybe it's because I'm older than the last time that I saw it...)

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #2,205 of 5,366
"Limitless" [8.1/10]: An interesting story that reminded a bit of that movie that was Natalie Wood's last film. (can't remember the title at the moment...) Take a drug that enhances life, ability, performance in every way but wait for the crash! It was a good Saturday night pay-per-view watch...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back