What book are you reading right now?
Nov 11, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #5,221 of 5,358
Nietzsche_Kauf.jpg
Best book I read on Nietzsche (1950)
Kaufmann_Cr.jpg
'Critique of Religion and Philosophy' (1958) is next on my list

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #5,222 of 5,358
Conduct of War by J.F.C. Fuller (3rd time).

Lies my Teacher Told Me - Loewen (2nd)

For Whom the Bell Tolls (2nd)

Gunther Grass - the Flounder (1st)

Nov 11, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #5,226 of 5,358
J.F.C. Fuller - are you a student of British fascism?
No. He was stubbornly pro Hitler very late which is beyond the pale, but his reading of history from 1789-1920 is accurate and insightful. FYI: I am politically a Social Democrat. I find Luckas interesting too, but not Orban, Ayn Rand, Ye, or Kyrie Irving.

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #5,227 of 5,358
How are you finding it? FWIW, I checked out Fagen's book Eminent Hipsters from the library a while back. Far and away the most interesting aspect of it (to me) was the latter half, which was Fagen's diary of touring with the Boz Scaggs and Michael McDonald in a band called Dukes of September circa 2011. The thing that really struck me was how mundane and sometimes distasteful can be the life of a touring musician, even one with the stature and legacy of Fagen.

Nov 11, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #5,228 of 5,358
Obligation and the Body Politic by Tussman.

Just finished again. Sophisticated and learned ideas stated with clarity.

Nov 12, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #5,229 of 5,358
How are you finding it? FWIW, I checked out Fagen's book Eminent Hipsters from the library a while back. Far and away the most interesting aspect of it (to me) was the latter half, which was Fagen's diary of touring with the Boz Scaggs and Michael McDonald in a band called Dukes of September circa 2011. The thing that really struck me was how mundane and sometimes distasteful can be the life of a touring musician, even one with the stature and legacy of Fagen.
Hi, just over halfway through. Looking forward to the recording of “Morph The Cat” fave DF album. It’s worth reading for the back story of the SD albums but as DF played his life very close to his chest (good for him) I can’t really say it let’s you know him well. But so far so good, also reading the Benito Mussolini book posted earlier.

Nov 16, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #5,230 of 5,358
Eminent Hipsters sounds tempting if I can find a second hand copy for Christmas.

Nov 26, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #5,231 of 5,358
Currently reading The Lord of the Rings, the deluxe illustrated edition 1/4 bound in leather that was just released in the US about a month ago. First time reading it even though I've collected 3 editions of the book over the years.

Dec 24, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #5,235 of 5,358
Politically Correct Bedtime Stories by Garner: really cute and sometimes LOLF

On Tyranny by Snyder: Practical resistance to political tyranny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back