What book are you reading right now?
May 23, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #3,707 of 5,357

This is really, really good!

Kafka....reminds me that i really have to get around to reading 'The Trail' and and his short stories. I have them in my shelves, but likes so many other books they have to wait.

a very good friend of mine, an associate professor in the linguistics department (studied german literature), told me Kafka still haunts her today.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #3,708 of 5,357
I love this so far. I have read everything of Leif Davidsen and always enjoy his books.

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #3,711 of 5,357

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #3,714 of 5,357

My grandmother on my father's side was a member of a book club, and so I have dozens of books from the 1940s through the early 1950s. I've resolved to try to read through the lot of them this summer. This one, Rampart Street, is my current charge. I'm only about a quarter of the way through, so it's a bit early to pass judgment, but thus far it hasn't managed to fully capture my interest. It's full of your typical fast-paced action, loose women, and roguish antics, all in a lawless setting. I can see why a lot of people might enjoy it, but I guess that's not really my thing. I'm longing for something like Pearl S. Buck's Pavilion of Women, which I read before this one and which I enjoyed immensely. I'm hoping I didn't peak too soon with that one.

I'll keep reading, though. I'm sure something will happen that draws me in. And if not, some tiny piece of the experience will be of use to me somewhere down the road.

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #3,717 of 5,357
haven't been on this thread in a while  - it took me ages to finish "one flew over the cuckoos nest" 

Reading this right now - anyone ever heard of it? ¬ 

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #3,719 of 5,357

Really love books about WWII, especially when it comes to the navy.
I stopped reading this 50 pages into it, but then it suddenly got twice as interesting.

I also just finished "The Starch Solution" which is really the only "diet" book I could suggest. More like a normal person's diet and not a fad diet.
It's similar to "Eat to Live", but not as extreme. Kind of amusing how a lot of people out there who write diet books always claim carbs are EVIL!
Such as bread is bad, white rice is bad(!) or even potatoes are bad! Do you see the biggest consumers of white rice being obese? No you don't.
Most of the anti-carb diet books are written by journalists it seems. No thanks.

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #3,720 of 5,357

Users who are viewing this thread

Back