What book are you reading right now?
Mar 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #4,278 of 5,357

I made a bet when I was younger that I would read all of his published books including his travel guides. Having done that I couldn't argue with your statement, when he is good he is excellent, but there are some beige patches.

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #4,284 of 5,357
@BobG55, I love those TinTin comics. What always gives me a chuckle when re-reading them for the umpteenth time is how they manage to look so dated, yet so contemporary.

In a somewhat related though decidedly different vein, I re-read Franquin's Idees Noires yesterday.

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #4,287 of 5,357
  @BobG55, I love those TinTin comics. What always gives me a chuckle when re-reading them for the umpteenth time is how they manage to look so dated, yet so contemporary.

In a somewhat related though decidedly different vein, I re-read Franquin's Idees Noires yesterday.

I like your point about how Tintin comic books manage to look dated & yet be so contemporary at the same time.  It's so true.  I guess the period of the story, surroundings, objects, e.g. cars, technology, etc. dates it to a certain degree but the stories, plot, general ideas never get old.  What I also really appreciate about Herge is the meticulous attentions he gave to details in his drawings e.g. you get a story drawing (square on the page) with a multitude of different objects e.g. a drawing of a desk top with keys, notes, an open wallet, a pack of cigarettes, a photograph or two, etc.  Some of the stories e.g. "Objectif Lune" & "On a marche sur la Lune" was done in the late 50s but it was so innovative and the technology, rocket ship, space suits, moon vehicles, etc. in the drawings so advanced that it's always fascinating when a reader/fan goes back to these 2 books.

I've never heard of "Idees Noires".  I'll have to look into them.  Thanks for this OddE.

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #4,288 of 5,357
A few years ago, in a bookshop, I saw a copy of The Art of Tintin (or possibly The Art of Herge) on offer. I was tempted and even had a leaf through it, but didn't buy it and now regret that. His drawings of machinery are so very good. Even the somewhat fanciful shark submarine from Red Rackham's Treasure was based on a real, if unsuccesful, machine.

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #4,289 of 5,357

I've never heard of "Idees Noires".  I'll have to look into them.  Thanks for this OddE.

-Just be forewarned that they are quite a different cup of tea compared to the usual Franquin fare. While the drawings are unmistakeably Gastonesque, the topics he visits are war, disease, mental illness, death by any number of means - as dark as a bat in a coal mine, yet at times it is impossible not to laugh out loud as he nails the absurdities of the world we live in.

Definitely a masterpiece.

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #4,290 of 5,357
Gavin Maxwell - Harpoon at a Venture. His first book, chronicling the time when, just out the army after WWII, he attempted to start a basking shark fishery on the Hebridean island of Soay. With zero experience and a fair amount of bad advice, he has a tale to tell.

As always, he's a wonderful writer, no matter what the subject matter. It just seemed like everything he did in life went awry in the end somehow. 

I lost my old copy of this years ago, so asked for a new one as a Christmas present and my dad obliged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back