what are your top 5 RPGs?
Dec 13, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #91 of 243
I don't know if Shadow of Colossus from the Playstation 2 is considered RPG(there's not much character development) but given its solitary atmosphere in the wild, its one of my best moments in a fantasy world. You somewhat feel you are really alone in that vast plain, you ride a horse travelling far and wide, and the dungeons/caves, actually, every environment is unique that really makes you feel like watching a movie yet solitarily exploring old forsaken, giant underground places. also due to its art direction and storyline, it has a good consistency to keep the world believable and nothing to spoil its experience like maybe a dancing gorilla popping from no where. it gives you a gritty, adventurous feeling unlike Skyrim which was repetitive in most of its dungeon settings. 

the girl you're suppose to rescue is in some sort of coma state, and after travelling a long journey to find something hidden, you claim your reward - a chance to fight a Giant, 10 storey high foe. its different setting in each of them, which makes it really fun to explore, its exciting to find out where and what to uncover.

at crossroads you'll travel across familiar paths but after that, either you'll enter an underground valley like the size of Moria Mines in lotr or fight an underwater giant seamonster. its some of the best experiences in gaming, other than Half Life / Portal :D but take note, its old though, so graphics may not be as what you expected today, but then again, very few games can give you that kind of experiences. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #92 of 243
SotC is one of the greatest games of all time, but its not an RPG. Its purely a strategic action game. The only thing I wish the game had, was mobs of small enemies, instead of just the colossi.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #94 of 243
Quote:
Skyrim
Metal Gear Solid 4
Dishonored
And I'll most likely add Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite to the list when they come out.

those are all fine games, but with the exception of Skyrim, none of those are RPG's 
blink.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #95 of 243
Quote:
those are all fine games, but with the exception of Skyrim, none of those are RPG's 
blink.gif

Really? Isn't RPG role-playing? in MGS4 we play the role of the old man etc... :frowning2:
I used to play online games like bf3 and sc2 but find them very boring so now i only play single player games like these every once in a while, much more fun :)

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #96 of 243
By that definition, all games are RPGs. RPG is a specific genre of game, in which most games mentioned on that post weren't in.

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #97 of 243
Quote:
Really? Isn't RPG role-playing? in MGS4 we play the role of the old man etc... :frowning2:
I used to play online games like bf3 and sc2 but find them very boring so now i only play single player games like these every once in a while, much more fun :)

Role Playing Game doesn't mean you are assuming the role of a character...it is a term from back in the 80's Dungeons and Dragon's games where you would ROLL dice and add the numbers up to gain experience points, tell how much damage you were doing to an enemy (hit points) etc. Not sure how roll turned into role over the years, but generally when someone refers to RPG they are talking about games like Skyrim where you level up and equip new items and magic to defeat harder enemies, go on quests, and what not.

Metal Gear Solid 4 was one of my favorite games, though...can't wait for Ground Zeros/5/whatever it's gonna be called

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #100 of 243
Quote:

Role Playing Game doesn't mean you are assuming the role of a character...it is a term from back in the 80's Dungeons and Dragon's games where you would ROLL dice and add the numbers up to gain experience points, tell how much damage you were doing to an enemy (hit points) etc. Not sure how roll turned into role over the years, but generally when someone refers to RPG they are talking about games like Skyrim where you level up and equip new items and magic to defeat harder enemies, go on quests, and what not.

Metal Gear Solid 4 was one of my favorite games, though...can't wait for Ground Zeros/5/whatever it's gonna be called

Thanks for the explanation haha

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #102 of 243
Quote:
Top 5
Baldur's Gate II
Neverwinter Nights
Planescape: Torment
Knights of the Old Republic
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Next 5
Dragon Age: Origins
Betrayal at Krondor
Baldur's Gate
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
Icewind Dale

You have very good taste.
Mind to tell us more about the Nehrim mod?

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #103 of 243
Dec 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #104 of 243
Quote:
But what about Vagrant Story? It's not on your list.

...my mistake. :wink:

But honestly, it's a game that I knew next to nothing about going into and being absolutely blown away by.  I got it almost a year after it released for free (part of a buy two, get one sale... chose it as my third game thanks to the familiar Squaresoft logo) and ended up playing through it more times than I care to count.  Unfortunately, I was a dolt who picked up one of those "mega" memory cards and lost all of my saves to data corruption, but I ended up replaying it more casually through the console generations.  In fact, I got rid of all my classic gaming systems/games about three years ago and Vagrant Story is the only non-current generation game that I've kept.

Dec 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #105 of 243
Hm... I don't play that much anymore, but I was a DotA/SWAT: Aftermath/Island Defense player before I quit :p WC3 battle chest is $20 now, 40-50 when i bought lol. Strategy rpg :p

RPGs:
Gorasul Legacy of the Dragon, I got about halfway and was enjoying it, but the 2nd half wouldn't load n I couldn't find the patch. Overall, I'd seen that the game was incomplete (overall from what I'd seen while searching for the patch). Still was very enjoyable. I thought at first the game wasn't working correctly so I deleted it and found later there was a patch and I was UBER pissed. 
Assassin's Creed series
Zelda series
The Witcher/ II
Planescape: torment 
Infinity Blade/II
Darksiders II
Hm... I don't play that much anymore, but I was a DotA/SWAT: Aftermath/Island Defense player before I quit :p WC3 battle chest is $20 now, 40-50 when i bought lol. Strategy rpg :p A lot for $20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back