What are your top 5 headphones for classical music?
Jul 8, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #62 of 86
Channel Classics, PentaTone Classics, Exton, Linn, Praga Digitals and Caro Mitis are all SACD labels of the highest caliber, recording in DSD or high-resolution PCM. PentaTone also reissues old analog masters from the Philips archive.

OTOH, BIS was until recently recording in 44.1 kHz / 24 Bit PCM, AKA low-resolution, but recently announced a move to 88.2 kHz / 24 PCM for their new projects.

As for Reference Recordings, they're up and running as usual, including a few SACD releases.

Quote:
[...] Does anyone know if there is currently an active audiophile classical label? As good as, say, Reference Recordings (which I think went out of business, correct?)

Quote:
BIS [...]

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #64 of 86
Yo man - I am from Leeds to originally - only there last Christmas to visit my folks....West Park to be precise...

Quote:
BIS, Hyperion, Teldec, Harmonia Mundi are all great labels, not just from the technical point of view but from the artistic one as well.

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #65 of 86

Quote:
At this moment I don't want to get another amp, but isn't there something tube-y that I can put between my DAC and receiver?

Even if there is, I'm not sure it's going to be any cheaper, I mean depends on the quality of the components. If the HD800 is your main hp, maybe you can build your system around them. The other option will be to go with a warmer SS amp that will roll the highs for the HD-800.

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #67 of 86
We have the same phone - the DT880 (600 ohms) - I will be there with the SR-71A - I've never tried the ER4S - what classical were u listening to on those?

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #68 of 86
The ER4S are my favourites for symphonic music, even when I'm home. They sound quite good actually out of my WA3, though I'm sure a ss, low impedance output amp is probably a best choice.
Mahler, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, they all sound pretty good despite the lack of a wide soundstage. Tonally I think they are superior to any cans I tried.
With chamber, well, I prefer the K702, because of their pinpoint accuracy or the Beyers for their warmth.
Having said that right now I'm listening to Bach's keyboard concertos (Christoph Rousset on Harpsicord, Decca) through a E7 + ER4S and it's pure bliss!

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #69 of 86
Glad to hear you are switching cans depending on the composer or type of instrumental settings...I am very interested to know what you think of cans that go with vocal music - say the Bruckner Motets or early madrigals .... 

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #70 of 86

Quote:
Glad to hear you are switching cans depending on the composer or type of instrumental settings...I am very interested to know what you think of cans that go with vocal music - say the Bruckner Motets or early madrigals .... 

That's an interesting point.
I only listen to sacred music, don't like opera. Obviously Bach Cantatas, Haydn and Mozart Masses are my favourites.
The AKG are good, but the Beyers are better, or at least I like them more. Especially with the DT990 vocals sound "unearthly", distant, well outside my head. And this is perfect for this kind of music...really supernatural, if you see what I mean.
Bach's Mass in B minor (Masaaki Suzuki on BIS, by preferred recording of it) is just perfect.
With the K702 and the ER4 vocals are more forward, which is probably more technically correct, but I enjoy the Beyers more :) 

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #71 of 86
I see - for early instruments or authentic instrument recordings I like very neutral sounding phones - but when it comes to something like Vaughan Williams or Brahms for example - I go for warmer sound signature. Interestingly - I have never heard a pair of phones I thought did justice to orchestral music though the T1 came REAL close...

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #73 of 86
Yes - and I thought the T1 was more my cup of tea for classical. In fact - I like them for everything...I auditioned them both on the Burson HA-160D and the PS Auditor. On the Auditor - it was another level of goodness... 

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #75 of 86
The Auditor is expensive though - but I was mightily impressed. PS audio is the manufacturer. It rarely gets written about here. I would really like to hear electrostat cans for classical - but I've never heard them....the new Stax SR-009 that Jude reviewed - look awesome for detail...imagine orchestral detail...nice nice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back