What are your must have apps for jailbroken iphone/Ipod touch
Feb 11, 2010 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

derek800

500+ Head-Fier
I just jailbroke my ipod touch for the first time over this past weekend. I had been reading about it for quite a while and I figured I had to try it out. So far I love it, it's so much more functional now, I can finally run apps in the background. A few of my favorite apps so far are winterboard, ifile, and backgrounder. I'm still new to this, but I've been trying to search for some new apps that I should have on my newly jailbroken device. So if you have any suggestions of any apps that you like please let me know.

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 13
what program did you use to jailbreak your touch.

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoNB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what program did you use to jailbreak your touch.

I used "red sn0w 0.9.4" to jailbreak my ipod touch 2g running 3.1.3. If you have 3.1.3 you have to use a loophole where you download the 3.1.2 ipsw file from the internet. Then you run red sn0w and point it to the 3.1.2 file and follow the directions from there.

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 13
Ok, I got that far but can't find the ipsw file. Where do I look.

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 13
iTunes just said I should upgrade to 3.1.3 so that means I already have 3.1.2, correct?

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 13
Here is the link to the site where I downloaded the ipsw file.

iPod and iPhone Firmware Download

Yes, you should have 3.1.2 right now if it wants you to upgrade to 3.1.3. I did read that that this method of jailbreaking will not work if you are running 3.1.3 and have a 3rd gen. ipod touch or iphone. Also if you have a newer ipod touch 2nd generation with the model number starting with MC this will not work either. If you did not already upgrade to 3.1.3 and have any of the models I listed you might want to stick with 3.1.2 and just jailbreak it as it is and wait to update once 4.0 comes out. If you do this you just need to point it to the ipsw file for your current firmware. From what I've read 3.1.3 doesn't give any necessary upgrades, in fact many believe that it was only released to patch up the past method for jailbreaking.

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 13
Cydia shop items
safari download manager
youtube download manager
snowcover (allows you to use touch gestures to control music on the lock screen but it sucks up battery like no other)
ifile

usb drive - this program actually allows you to section off a portion of your flash space to use as a usb drive. its still in beta and i heard it disables bluetooth. it doesn't require external programs and it doesn't do that lame wifi drive thing. transfer speeds aren't the greatest. read more here Dmytro personal pages its possible that this will be a pay app sooner or later though.

Feb 16, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 13
Winterboard, themes and such

Backgrounder, allows apps to run in background

3g unrestrictor, lets you use skype and other wifi restricted apps on 3g

quick reply sms, lets you answer texts without running text app, a window just pops up and you can reply from whateever app you are in

SBSetting, a nice visual UI alternative to Bossprefs, just gives you more heads up control over settings, turn of your wifi, 3g on the fly things like that.

open SSH, file transfer utility wifi or USB

iFile - file navigation, lets you go through the file tree of the iphone/touch without a computer.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #11 of 13
3G Unrestrictor - Also allows you to remove the restrictions on built in itunes and app store.

Lockinfo - Lets you put information on your lockscreen, like email, calender, etc

Weather Icon - Lets you replace the icon of the weather app to show actual temp + weather conditions of a specific location.

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #12 of 13
Winterboard
afc2add
SBSetting
Quick Scroll2
iCommander
3G Restrictor
iFile
Categories & CategoriesSB
Supreme Preferences 3.0
iKeyEX 3 & 5Row Keyboard
Shrink