What are your laptop core temps? advice please.
Sep 24, 2008 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Rednamalas1

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently have a bit of concern over my laptop core temperatures.

I own a dell xps M1210 - and it seems that my temp is getting little too high every once in a while.

and this is what I used to measure core temps:
Core Temp

While on batteries - it usually is around 55~65 degrees C( 130F - 149F) . Sometimes spiking up to 85-90 (185-195 F0 when under some load.

while plugged in, it generally is 60-70 degrees, sometimes spiking up to 90 as well.

should I be concerned?
I have no warrenty, since my laptop is 2 years+ old.
Is there anything I can do to minimize heat when on batteries?

I'll probably be getting the new macbook when aluminum version comes out - but I have no idea when that would be.

any input would be appreciated! thanks in advance
wink.gif
!

Sep 24, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 40
That is hot IMO. My laptop peaks at ~50C under full load. It's a 2ghz Celeron...

Have you cleaned the dust out from the heatsink lately?

~Phewl.

Sep 24, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 40
I generally use compressed air to clean most parts - every 2 months or so, but I didn't bother to open it up completely when I did.

should I open the whole thing up to clean then?

Sep 24, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 40
It's out of warranty, so I would. If you were handy enough with the screwdrivers
smily_headphones1.gif

Compressed air often just moves dust from A to B, it can't easily escape the casing. You've nowt to lose from opening her up, so long as you're careful
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Sep 24, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 40
Assuming it's clogged up, yes. Returning it to standard-clean-spec would be like an upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 40
what processor you running?

Its probably because the thermalgel applied to the CPU heatsink hasnow evaporated/dryed up since your pc is 2 years old. Ive seen it happen to a few of mine. You should only consider drastic action only if the temps rise aove 80. Heat (unless its extreme) will cause no damage to your system.

If you are opening it up, check the heatsink for thermal paste. If there is none, buy some at a local pc store I recomend Arctic Silver, but any paste will do as long as its not the white silicone one. Place a small drop (half a pea size) on the processor. Resist the temptaion to spread the paste, let the heatsink do it on its own. Then put everything together an voila, you should see a 5-6 degree drop at least. Also clean your air intakes and outlets.

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 40
The laptop I'm on (AMD turion 64 x2 mobile, geforce go 6150, 5400rpm HDD) has a core threshold of 135C. (I assume it's the max before **** hits the fan) It normally runs around 84C while on electric power.

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The laptop I'm on (AMD turion 64 x2 mobile, geforce go 6150, 5400rpm HDD) has a core threshold of 135C. (I assume it's the max before **** hits the fan) It normally runs around 84C while on electric power.

HS! that's high... I thought my 55C-65C was bad....

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 40
youll be fine red, your cpu can take alot more heat. Kirosia, i would be more worried about the plastic encasing your laptop melting or something once it gets close to 100.

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #13 of 40
I should clarify, that's the GPU core temperature. I've also got a USB mouse and 19"crt attached. (I HATE the LCD) I thought such temps were normal with a desktop replacement?

EDIT: The case, touchpad, and keyboard are warm at best, I'd probably have to hit the GPU threshold before this thing melts. It's an HP Pavilion.

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #15 of 40
Just save yourself any trouble and put some AS5 on the core. THat should cool it down, but do be aware of how you should apply the paste and make sure no air bubbles get in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back