What are your clip EQ settings?
Apr 15, 2009 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

userlander

Banned - aka walrus1 - aka vidranger1 - aka iggy-starnuts
I found the default EQ setting a little midrangey and slightly bass shy with my PK3s, so lately I've been running this EQ:

+4 +4 +3 +2 +3

That seems to tame a slight grado-like harshness around the vocal range without dropping it out too much to be a noticeable dip.

The best I can tell, the stock "Normal" settings *seem* to be +4 across the board, and when you zero out the EQ, it actually goes to that setting (or some other enhancement) and not really true zero.

Anyone else use custom EQ with their clip? Thoughts? Impressions?

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 51
I haven't really adjusted any of the "custom" EQ settings on my Clip too much yet. For some reason the "Normal" setting sounds the best to me, but I am old
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyotero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason is that the clip/fuze distorts like mad if you touch the EQ + you're old.
beerchug.gif

lul, wut? Mine doesn't distort.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually mine doesn't distort either. Now my IPOD EQ, that's a different story. I notice I do have the Bass setting up just a little bit to give me extra feel, but overall I'd say my PK3 settings are pretty close to yours.

Apr 15, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 51
The EQ on the Clip is broken as far as I'm concerned. Once you modify any of the bands even one click, the player goes into a custom EQ mode and the whole frequency range changes slightly when you go into this mode. You can change the sound from there, but there isn't any zero point to reference from.

Edit: OP I see you stated this in your post. I didn't read it thoroughly enough.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 51
Don't go down that rabbit hole, keep it flat, buy better 'phone.

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by RASeymour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't go down that rabbit hole, keep it flat, buy better 'phone.

I don't think there probably is a better bud for $39 than the PK3. Maybe not even for $100. Taking the mids down a notch (or down to +2 for the fourth band) really improved the sound, imho. There isn't that one frequency "barking" at me like before.
smile_phones.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah the term "distortion" may be a little out of place in the traditional sence of its meaning. Sorry for that. What I actually meant is that if I touch the EQ settings, the sound just sounds off to me.
And I know for sure it's not the foult of the EQ as an EQ but the player itself (or its firmware) because it's not that drastic if I use, lets say, the EQ in foobar or the (RIP) Rio Karma.
EDIT: it only happens if I turn it up. didn't try to turn it down.. maybe it's not as bad.

Plonter@ EQ=equalizer

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the OP and I have the same issue. It's the firmware that's at fault. Luckily the player sounds fantastic with the EQ off, so no worries.

Good point on the firmware. For the record, I have V02.01.32A. I haven't checked for updates recently.

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 51
How can you take the midrange down to plus 2? Besides the clip loses about 3db or more of volume when you go into custom EQ mode. Yet to each their own.

I have used the clip with the PK3s and see no reason to use the eq. Then again , I feel all EQ on these devices are crap and never use them. My theory is that if you have to use EQ you have a serious problem somewhere in the listening chain.

After re-reading your post, I think someone jacked up all your eq settings if you are pulling them down to numbers such as plus two or four and I think you are referring to clicks above the center line right? Not above the max cut line way down at the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back