What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jul 30, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #114,752 of 136,893

Jul 30, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #114,753 of 136,893
The Steve Wilson remixes on the JT library are pretty nice!

Also a Qobuz fan. I did the month trial, ended up doing the year subscription. Pretty tough to beat if the catalog is deep enough for your music style. I’ve found that the auto play algorithm fits nicely. Apple Music and Spotify were off in left field sometimes for me.

Qobuz on the iBasso DX330 and downloading playlists is pretty sweet!
I've also recently switched over to Qobuz from Applemusic Lossless. To me, there's certainly a difference in SQ between the two - subtle, but definitely apparent!

I must say, I think that Apple does a better job at recommending tracks and has a better variety of playlists (for my tastes). I'd also say that Apple has an easier interface to use imo.

Jul 30, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #114,755 of 136,893
0000881128162_600.jpg

One of my all-time favourite albums @Gédéon Molle :relaxed:

I bought Argus when it was released and saw the band live, in '72.

I saw Martin Turner, with his band, play the whole of Argus ( along with Wishbone IV) a couple of months ago, at a pub in Sheffield.

It was absolutely brilliant!

I bought two large prints of the iconic Argus album cover from Martin after the gig.

Jul 30, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #114,756 of 136,893
Some very nice jazz selections recently - thanks for the ideas! :)

Listening today:
Jethro Tull - This Was.jpeg
Jethro Tull - Stand Up.jpg
Jethro Tull - Benefit.jpg
The beauty of Qobuz ... these are the band's first three studio albums, from
1968 - 1970. Their first guitarist was Mick Abrahams but he left after the first
album to be replaced by Martin Barre. The 4th album was "Aqualung" and
there was no looking back after that. Interesting to hear the progression from
blues to progressive rock.

HD800 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :)

Thanks for posting these @RCBinTN :beyersmile:

My introduction to Tull was the double vinyl album 'Living in the Past' which was released in 1972
https://www.discogs.com/master/38226-Jethro-Tull-Living-In-The-Past

That was a superb 'compilation' album which led me to explore their earlier albums.

I saw the band in '73 just after Passion Play was released, and then again last December!

I think that Steven Wilson has done a brilliant, job remixing Tull albums.
I listened to the remixed albums on Qobuz, and bought several of my favourites on CD.

I have also bought Steven Wilson's 50th anniversary remix of Thick as a Brick, on vinyl!
It was cut at half speed.
https://www.discogs.com/release/24027515-Jethro-Tull-Thick-As-A-Brick-50th-Anniversary-Edition
It arrived yesterday and when I finally get my vinyl playback set up, I look forward to hearing it.

Another Steven Wilson remix which I have bought on vinyl, is the 2018 Yes remix box set containing:
The Yes Album
Fragile
Close to the Edge
Tales from Topographic Oceans
Relayer.
https://www.discogs.com/master/1389962-Yes-The-Steven-Wilson-Remixes

I have heard the albums on Qobuz, but haven't played my vinyl.... yet

These remixed albums are not available on CD.

I think that, along with Giles Martin's remixes of classic Beatles albums ( Sgt Pepper, White Album, Abbey Road and Let it Be) Steven Wilson is responsible for some of the best remixes of my favourite albums which I have ever heard.

Jul 30, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #114,757 of 136,893
SFR.jpg
MZBFTSS.jpg
16/44 Flac > KTE Holo Spring L3 > GEL3N > ZMF VC

Jul 30, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #114,758 of 136,893
I've also recently switched over to Qobuz from Applemusic Lossless. To me, there's certainly a difference in SQ between the two - subtle, but definitely apparent!

I must say, I think that Apple does a better job at recommending tracks and has a better variety of playlists (for my tastes). I'd also say that Apple has an easier interface to use imo.
I think Apple’s algorithm for music suggestions does well, it just got predictable and repetitive. I’d sometimes start with a search, and let it go for hours. I’d slowly add songs into a playlist. Other times just skip to the next. What I’d find was it would start repeating songs…or only suggest A list songs, like it ran out of ideas. It’s also very aggressive if you have it installed with other players or music services. Sometimes AM would take over my car Bluetooth/Wi-Fi when I really didn’t want it to.

The interface is straight forward. But, the more you use a service, it becomes second nature over time.

The best, for what I’d search, was Pandora. It was uncanny, could go 2-3 hours for me with a lot of ‘Oh wow, forgot that song’, or getting some new stuff mixed in.

The best at both UI and suggested songs…was Tidal. Used it for a long time. But…started shopping music streaming apps again as others started touting HiRes. Tidal does some V shaped Eq’ing to my ears versus my FLAC files of the same songs, one of the reasons I switched to Apple Music, which was built into my Apple One account. Only recently reshopped the services,

One little tip I’ve found with Qobuz, never tried with other apps. Let’s say you’re into a search, and want to get back to the main search entry. Double tap (or more) the search icon. It’s like an immediate back button.

Jul 30, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #114,761 of 136,893
I think Apple’s algorithm for music suggestions does well, it just got predictable and repetitive. I’d sometimes start with a search, and let it go for hours. I’d slowly add songs into a playlist. Other times just skip to the next. What I’d find was it would start repeating songs…or only suggest A list songs, like it ran out of ideas. It’s also very aggressive if you have it installed with other players or music services. Sometimes AM would take over my car Bluetooth/Wi-Fi when I really didn’t want it to.

The interface is straight forward. But, the more you use a service, it becomes second nature over time.

The best, for what I’d search, was Pandora. It was uncanny, could go 2-3 hours for me with a lot of ‘Oh wow, forgot that song’, or getting some new stuff mixed in.

The best at both UI and suggested songs…was Tidal. Used it for a long time. But…started shopping music streaming apps again as others started touting HiRes. Tidal does some V shaped Eq’ing to my ears versus my FLAC files of the same songs, one of the reasons I switched to Apple Music, which was built into my Apple One account. Only recently reshopped the services,

One little tip I’ve found with Qobuz, never tried with other apps. Let’s say you’re into a search, and want to get back to the main search entry. Double tap (or more) the search icon. It’s like an immediate back button.
Yes, I can certainly agree with everything you've said in your message.

I liked Tidal (prior to apple introducing lossless within the apple one package), but to me £19.99 vs £10.83 of Qobuz doesn't make sense. I agree however, that the user interface and algorithm were excellent.

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #114,763 of 136,893

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #114,764 of 136,893
Here's a great song from Kristeen Young's 2006 album, 'The Orphans'.....

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #114,765 of 136,893
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream (full album)
1659199256429.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back