What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jul 2, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #53,326 of 136,959

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #53,327 of 136,959
4121R3Q8YPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #53,331 of 136,959
  Am I too late to comment on the album? I've made my way to through the album a few minutes ago, and I must make out a few words:

This album really is different from their previous work. It has elements that made Boris who they are today, but it feels a tad more eclectic. There's a really strong, spiritual quality that I feel is really prevalent in this almost "new" sound they are attempting. It is a mixture of doom, sludge with psychedelic alternative melodies incorporated throughout. If I can describe how this album is in Boris' discography.. it has allowed them to reach the Heavens and beyond. I usually never determine a favorite album after one listen, but I can't say no to this one. It deserves that much and more. If I had to pick a favorite song, and if I have to, it would be 'Angel'.. this track is the most solid piece I've ever heard from the trio. If there is one Boris album I'd recommend, this is now it!

Cheers!

It's interesting to hear you talk about the album having a strong spiritual quality. I think Boris have managed to incorporate a really varied array of different influences into one streamlined package that works really well without sounding overly polished. The music feels like they had a strong vision about what they wanted to do and had fun doing it.

"Angel" is indeed masterful. I don't think anyone can argue that it is not an exceptional piece of music.

Big fan, too. I read on another thread the dynamic range was really poor. Did compression/loudness bother you one way or the other?

It became prevalent only on a few tracks. i take it as an engineering approach suggested by the group themselves. Boris records most of their music in analogue and in a live "setting" with all of them being in one room with microphones properly set up. I don't mind compression when it's done in an artistic manner. One of my favorite groups, Trivium; their records sound, as TJ Elite once put, "atrocious". As an enthusiast for quality in music, one may flinch at their sound. Although after learning that they personally enjoy that sound and try and re-create such sonic qualities, it kind of opens a whole new window to their world of music. I personally enjoy this the most. Its perhaps one of the reasons why I love Sennheiser's almost infamous headphone, the HD 800, for it's revealing characteristics; allowing me to hear the music as the artist intended.
smile.gif

I wasn't bothered in the least by the album's amount of dynamics. I think it actually compares very favorably to albums like "Pink" for example, which really assault the listener with their hyper-compressed and incredibly distorted lo-fi sound. There's some clearly audible clipping in select places but I think that is a clearly artistic decision as I think Boris's sound has always been on practically every record. I was listening to it at a quite low level, however, so perhaps my impression would have been different had I turned the music up a little to my regular listening level for this kind of music. I must say though that at the level I was listening the album actually sounded pretty good and considerably better than most records that come out these days. The band has a nice sound and I don't think the production does disservice to it on this record. Sound-wise I would compare the record to "Attention Please" and "New Album" rather than "Pink" or "Akuma no Uta", which is a good thing, even though I think those albums sound the way intended. It's no "Flood" though.

Never been around so many Boris fans

I listened to the stream from band camp
I thought the compression was from the stream
Will download the flac and give it a good listen

I like the pink and heavy rocks sound better
But they don't make the same record twice (even heavy rocks)

Good stuff anyway I like wata's vocals

Boris are easily among my personal top ten artists. Their level of musicianship is seldom paralleled. Many people on Head-Fi appreciate and actively seek out quality music so I wouldn't be surprised to run into a few Boris fans here.

Lossy audio data compression and dynamic compression are two very different things. The two affect sound in very different ways.

Just grabbed some new stuff on iTunes for a tenner:

Ocelot - ManiC

Tranceformer Yuno - 地平線/All New Days

古墳P (kofunP) - Shy Heart,Shy Word

yukkedoluce - Good Morning, Polar Night

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #53,333 of 136,959
Never been around so many Boris fans

I listened to the stream from band camp
I thought the compression was from the stream
Will download the flac and give it a good listen

I like the pink and heavy rocks sound better
But they don't make the same record twice (even heavy rocks)

Good stuff anyway I like wata's vocals

Cheers! Thumbs up big time for Boris. So much compression in the industry and listeners of "heavy music" know it's often more apparent in heavy music. I have come to the conclusion that you can bemoan compression until the cows come home. But, sometimes I opt for the music  because I like the band regardless of DR.

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #53,334 of 136,959
  Cheers! Thumbs up big time for Boris. So much compression in the industry and listeners of "heavy music" know it's often more apparent in heavy music. I have come to the conclusion that you can bemoan compression until the cows come home. But, sometimes I opt for the music  because I like the band regardless of DR.

Can't remember who said this, but credit to him/her;
"Audiophiles like to complain about compressed music, but they actually prefer it."

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #53,337 of 136,959

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #53,338 of 136,959

"Flight feet & Root hands" - Andreas Wollenweider.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #53,339 of 136,959

The low spark of high heeled boys Traffic.  Listening w/HD600 & Trafomatic Experience Head One = Very laid-back smooth, jazz-blues, experience. -July 2,    

The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East.   Listening w/HD800 & Vintage Kenwood KA-8006 Int. Amp., 1974/70WPC = such a great album & the sound is   
                                                                       magical.  R.I.P. Skydog. -July 3, 2014.

Unplugged Eric Clapton (remastered)             Listening w/HD800 & Vintage Kenwood KA-8006 Int. Amp., 1974/70WPC = the remastering of this album is 
                                                                        fantastic & of course it's E.C. -July 4, 2014 (***Happy Independence Day to all my American friends***).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back