What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jan 27, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #49,592 of 137,046

The production is very unfortunate on this, but hopefully the next couple of albums will be better. The music itself is compelling.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #49,593 of 137,046

"The Complete Studio Recordings" - Led Zeppelin (...going to sample some Zeppelin today...)

Sweet! You've got some of the best rock music ever made.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #49,595 of 137,046
Quote:
"The Complete Studio Recordings" - Led Zeppelin (...going to sample some Zeppelin today...) 

Did you purchase this boxed set recently or when first released?
Any thoughts on the packaging and the remastering work?
Enjoy...

I bought the set when it was first released. I know that there was a discussion just recently on the various Led Zeppelin remasters somewhere around here (maybe earlier in this thread...). I am as picky as the next guy with regard to sound and packaging. I have a great home theater/audio system. I have most, probably all, of the "greatest hits" reissues as well. I haven't heard anything remastered from the original Led Zeppelin catalogue that sounds better to me, and I LOVE the packaging of this set. Others may disagree, I guess, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it...

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #49,598 of 137,046

TRUCKFIGHTERS TRUCKFIGHTERS 

How in the damn hell did I miss this band? For the 

I've been listening to these nonstop for a while, and wrote about them (images linked).

Edit: I'm adding Norwegian band Spirits Of The Dead, as they kind of fit this vibe, and was also my album of the year.  My reviews reference 1967-70 psych and prog for Hidden Masters - Cream, Kaleidoscope, Traffic, etc., shifting to 1969-73 for Wolf People (Jethro Tull, Yes, Groundhogs, Mighty Baby, Trees, Pentangle). Spirits Of The Dead include some more recent influences like QOTSA.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #49,599 of 137,046

I've been listening to these nonstop for a while, and wrote about them (images linked).

excellent post sir. Big prog fan here. I can hear Tull/Genesis/Traffic and some yes in there - very good. I will have to get my hands on some of that. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #49,600 of 137,046
41x9j09Gk1L._SL500_.jpg

41hgYqfM-lL._SL500_.jpg

51phlC602NL._SL500_.jpg

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #49,602 of 137,046
Thanks, you are correct - early Tull and Yes, maybe some Genesis in Wolf People for sure! I am working on a piece on sort of underheard psych prog albums from 1968-72, will try to post a few in the coming week.

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #49,604 of 137,046
  Awesome, I just got into Led Zeppelin about a month ago.  I really enjoy some of it a lot more than I thought I would.

Allmusic.com: Led Zeppelin: Acknowledged as the most successful and influential band of the heavy rock era, with a catalogue that continues to inspire.

Artist Biography by Stephen Thomas Erlewine :

Led Zeppelin was the definitive heavy metal band. It wasn't just their crushingly loud interpretation of the blues -- it was how they incorporated mythology, mysticism, and a variety of other genres (most notably world music and British folk) -- into their sound. Led Zeppelin had mystique. They rarely gave interviews, since the music press detested the band. Consequently, the only connection the audience had with the band was through the records and the concerts. More than any other band, Led Zeppelin established the concept of album-oriented rock, refusing to release popular songs from their albums as singles. In doing so, they established the dominant format for heavy metal, as well as the genre's actual sound.

Me: Yeah-that pretty much says all I could. They are the Beatles of heavy rock music.

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #49,605 of 137,046
I have most, probably all, of the "greatest hits" reissues as well. I haven't heard anything remastered from the original Led Zeppelin catalogue that sounds better to me, and I LOVE the packaging of this set.

Thank you for that.
Just hoping you did not find this remaster to be inferior to your ears and that the physical set has stood the test of time.
You answered that and I will look to purchase soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back