What Are You Listening To Right Now?
May 10, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #136,443 of 136,901

May 10, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #136,444 of 136,901
My very first CD - Ronnie Laws Identity (1990). Bought it the same time I got my first CD Player in Carver's TL-3300 player in 1990.

Teac VRDS-701 CD Player > Denafrips Pontus DAC > Denafrips Artemis HPA > Sennheiser HD800S phones.

Ronnie Laws Identity.jpg

Listening to it now, its ok; pop jazz, and nothing earth shattering. I bought it then because I'd had some other Ronnie Laws CDs, and this one had just released.

Still have the Carver CD player, though there's an issue with the cd tray fully closing so It's been packed away for about 20+ years now. Was a beauty when it was working.

tl3300.png.31af9f23f7a2b4d7342a06c4d0d2eee7.png

Carver was making some nice gear then. Also still have my Carver TFM- 35 power amp.

May 10, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #136,448 of 136,901
Some free jazz of sorts performed with a mix of traditional instruments next to custom built electronic contraptions + ....loads of feedback thrown in for good measure ... I enjoyed every second of it.

Nice to see some Portuguese jazz around here :thumbsup:

May 10, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #136,449 of 136,901
Thanks for posting these!
You bet, my pleasure.
I enjoyed Chick's improvisation of three Thelonious Monk songs the most, but the entire album is a blast. :)

May 10, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #136,451 of 136,901
Folder (2).jpg
^ EDIT: Late night add of...late night music (I mean, it's right in the title! :smile:). This is a recent discovery for me and it's really very good. Might even become a favorite of the genre.

Think of mostly instrumental late 80's pop/hair/light metal or hard rock, with a lot of soaring guitar heroics, yet an atmospheric sensibility (great use of mood setting keyboards and some background vocals), even delicacy, that's perfect for late night "vibes". The songs are well constructed; some are more structured than others, but none fall too much into that wandering "musical masturbation/showing off" (jamming for the sake of jamming with little to no song direction), nor middling MotR (middle of the road) AOR that many albums like this dissolve into. And excellent production (Bob Ludwig mastered) on top of all that...even some surprising bass. Schon does sing on a few tracks, but he's not half bad at that either, at least for this type of material.

Love to find hidden new-to-me gems like this! Even AMG kind of raves (for them) about this release. (I did listen to Schon's 2 albums with Jan Hammer before this one awhile ago, but didn't like them much).

Here's a track that gives a good sample of the album:

I've got one Neal Schon CD, and it's the double CD Electric World (1997), but I've not heard it since getting it some time ago. Might have to give it a listen later.

May 10, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #136,452 of 136,901
May 10, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #136,453 of 136,901
Led Zeppelin- IV (first pressing)
IMG_3944.jpeg

May 10, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #136,454 of 136,901
Led Zeppelin- IV (first pressing)
IMG_3944.jpeg
Very Nice!

Just listened to IV straight through with my 17yo on the drive home from Sydney the other night. Not sure what it is, but he and his mates are really getting into all the the "old stuff" that their dad's enjoy including this, Dark Side, OK Computer, Ride The Lightning, and Sgt Pepper.

It was great spending that time with him explaining how'd I'd bought my own copy of this record along with a few other Zep when I was just about exactly his age, and how much more precious each physical copy of music was back then as compared to the ubiquity of streaming today. He said, "well that's why music was so much better back then and everything is crap today." 🤷‍♂️

Maybe later this arvo I should put on that Mdou Moctar I posted here last week for him, or something like this:

May 10, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #136,455 of 136,901
Very Nice!

Just listened to IV straight through with my 17yo on the drive home from Sydney the other night. Not sure what it is, but he and his mates are really getting into all the the "old stuff" that their dad's enjoy including this, Dark Side, OK Computer, Ride The Lightning, and Sgt Pepper.

It was great spending that time with him explaining how'd I'd bought my own copy of this record along with a few other Zep when I was just about exactly his age, and how much more precious each physical copy of music was back then as compared to the ubiquity of streaming today. He said, "well that's why music was so much better back then and everything is crap today." 🤷‍♂️

Maybe later this arvo I should put on that Mdou Moctar I posted here last week for him, or something like this:

That's awesome! That's a great memory to have with him now. I've been playing lots of Beatles and Tom Petty for my kids ever since they were babies. They are still very young now, but I am hoping some of it will stick with them when they are older. 🤞

Users who are viewing this thread

Back