What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Nov 19, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #47,537 of 136,284
I am really enjoying this at the moment. 

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #47,539 of 136,284

Steven Wilson - The Raven...

Haken - Demo

Nov 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #47,540 of 136,284

charlot - Last Dance
https://charlotontheweb.bandcamp.com/album/-

Currently listening to this new free single from charlot. I really like it.

Tim Hecker - Virgins

Now listening to this for the second time. Highly recommended!

みじぴんP (MIJIPIN) - 月下の廻廊 (Corridor Under the Moon)

月明かりの下、惑星の上で、魂は廻り続ける。
人は、月明かりの下で人を想う。
月は、惑星の営みを照らす。

Under the moon, on the planet, the soul repeated reincarnation.
People love the people under the moon.
The moon illuminates the life of the planet.

みじぴんP (MIJIPIN) - SILVER RAIN

冷たい雨が銀色に視界を濡らす。
灰色の街に輝きを与えて行く。
今、失いながら生きることを恐れはしない。
新しい時間を、君がこの心の中に刻んだから。

Cold rain wets the view on silver.
Cold rain gives a shine to the city of gray.
Now, I'm not afraid to lose.
Because you gave me in the heart, a new life.

Felt the need to hear some MEIKO, so I got these on iTunes. My first time listening to MIJIPIN. Must say that I'm pleased with these, very easy to listen to. And I don't mean that in a disparaging way, obviously. Something simple was exactly the thing I needed right now.

Nov 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #47,541 of 136,284
Hot Tuna

Hot Tuna is really four or five different bands comprised of a variety of personnel over the years including Pete Sears,
Harvey Sorgen, Sammy Piazza, Michael Falzarano, Papa John Creach Jerry Garcia and even Marty Balin for a brief moment.

But the core elements behind Hot Tuna are Jorma Kaukonen on guitar and Jack Casady on bass, both members then of The
Jefferson Airplane, while here they deliver acoustic country blues .

[Original recording(1970)
remastered(1996)Live]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Tuna_(album)

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #47,543 of 136,284

L3000.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #47,545 of 136,284

About remasters in general: I've heard some that are nice tune-ups of the originals, and others that are downright re-recordings that are so bad, I find myself skipping the remaster in favor of the original (Genesis: Trick of the Tail comes to mind). The better audio gear that many here are blessed with, really uncovers the flaws in remasters. They really need to be done with some attention to detail. So I for one am a bit skeptical about remasters (even coming from the likes of Mr. Page). But I must admit you have piqued my curiosity. Perhaps I shall give this one a listen.

I totally agree with you, remasters are hit and miss, the worst are when you get a remaster and they compress the heck out of it.  I have to say I didn't fall in love with the CD remasters, but the FLAC are simply better in every respect.  In addition to the higher resolution, they are less compressed.  It's really fun, though sometimes you do chuckle at the obvious studio work with sliders and stuff that were technology limits of the day.  That aside, some of the recordings are really pretty amazing.

Another great set of remasters was the King Crimson by Steven Wilson, they really nailed that.  Red is one of my favorite albums and hearing it so clean and clear was a real treat.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #47,546 of 136,284

I totally agree with you, remasters are hit and miss, the worst are when you get a remaster and they compress the heck out of it.  I have to say I didn't fall in love with the CD remasters, but the FLAC are simply better in every respect.  In addition to the higher resolution, they are less compressed.  It's really fun, though sometimes you do chuckle at the obvious studio work with sliders and stuff that were technology limits of the day.  That aside, some of the recordings are really pretty amazing.

Another great set of remasters was the King Crimson by Steven Wilson, they really nailed that.  Red is one of my favorite albums and hearing it so clean and clear was a real treat.

+1 Crimson are my fav prog band. Wilson also done a great job on aqualung. Do you know if he did Larks tungues? i think that album sounds amazing. The song "easy money" is one of the best songs for headphones. 

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #47,548 of 136,284
Another masterpiece from John Martyn

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #47,549 of 136,284

+1 Crimson are my fav prog band. Wilson also done a great job on aqualung. Do you know if he did Larks tungues? i think that album sounds amazing. The song "easy money" is one of the best songs for headphones. 

The King Crimson 40th anniversary series, apart from the tracks for which the multi-track master tapes are no longer available, have been completely remixed by Robert Fripp and Steven Wilson in addition to being remastered by Robert Fripp and Simon Heyworth, so naming them as an example in a discussion focused on just remastering is perhaps a bit unfounded given how radically different an entirely new mix can sound simply by its nature. Of course if the intent is to recreate the original mix as closely as possible, that's a bit of a gray area, but unless there was something technically seriously wrong with the original 2-track master apart from the mix itself, it's hard to see why one would do that. Typically the goal when doing a new mix is to improve on the original, not just mimic it as best as you can. I feel the fans of the 40th anniversary series could call those good reissues but not necessarily good remasters. Not saying they aren't well mastered, but given that those exact mixes have never been to my knowledge heard with different mastering, there hardly is a good point of reference.

Well, since I mentioned it, since some of the tracks originate from the 2-track master tapes, and have therefore not been remixed but only remastered, comparing those to previous CD issues would be a fair comparison. If someone has done such a comparison, it might be interesting to hear your findings, even if only out of curiosity more than anything else. This reminds me I actually have to get the debut album on vinyl at some point…

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #47,550 of 136,284

The King Crimson 40th anniversary series, apart from the tracks for which the multi-track master tapes are no longer available, have been completely remixed by Robert Fripp and Steven Wilson in addition to being remastered by Robert Fripp and Simon Heyworth, so naming them as an example in a discussion focused on just remastering is perhaps a bit unfounded given how radically different an entirely new mix can sound simply by its nature. Of course if the intent is to recreate the original mix as closely as possible, that's a bit of a gray area, but unless there was something technically seriously wrong with the original 2-track master apart from the mix itself, it's hard to see why one would do that. Typically the goal when doing a new mix is to improve on the original, not just mimic it as best as you can. I feel the fans of the 40th anniversary series could call those good reissues but not necessarily good remasters. Not saying they aren't well mastered, but given that those exact mixes have never been to my knowledge heard with different mastering, there hardly is a good point of reference.

Well, since I mentioned it, since some of the tracks originate from the 2-track master tapes, and have therefore not been remixed but only remastered, comparing those to previous CD issues would be a fair comparison. If someone has done such a comparison, it might be interesting to hear your findings, even if only out of curiosity more than anything else. This reminds me I actually have to get the debut album on vinyl at some point…

the difference between the original cd of the album discipline and the 40th anniversary remaster is incredible. The remaster is much much better. The other albums have noticeable differences but they did an amazing job on discipline and really needed it i think. Im listening to it now - man that track "thela hun gingeet" is so good! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back