Mar 30, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #4,306 of 137,461
An album made in hell that sounds like heaven through Grado RS1's

sabbath.jpg

Unbelievable show.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #4,309 of 137,461
51BS9DHAAEL._SS500_.jpg

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #4,310 of 137,461
'No Greater Love' -- Blu // Below The Heavens.....

SIC014-cover-800x800.jpg

One of the BEST albums ever made,regardless of genre !!!

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #4,311 of 137,461
Norris Turney Quartet/Big, Sweet N' Blue

TRACK LISTING:
1.BLUES FOR EDWARD (N.Turney)
2.HERE'S THAT RAINY DAY (J.Van Heusen & J.Burke)
3.BLUES IN B (N.Turney, L.Willis, W.Booker, J.Cobb)
4.CHECKERED HAT (N. Turney)
5.I CAN'T GIVE YOU ANYTHING BUT LOVE (D.Fields, J.McHugh)
6.STREETS OF DREAMS (V.Young & S.Lewis)
7.IN A MELLOW TONE (E.K.Ellington)
8.BLOOD COUNT (W.Strayhorn)
9.I'VE NEVER BEEN IN LOVE BEFORE (F.Loesser)
10.COME SUNDAY (E.K.Ellington)

The Tracking Angle:
reviewed by Fred Kaplan

Mapleshade has garnered wide praise for its sonically pure recordings. Pierre Sprey records straight to two-track analogue with never more than a handful of mikes, minimal cable-lengths, no EQ, no echo plates, no mixing board. This disc stands as Sprey's most lifelike disc to date and that's saying a great deal.
Norris Turney, who took over Johnny Hodges' seat in the last Duke Ellington band, has as big and sweet and rich a sound on the alto sax as you're likely to hear and, from the first blaring note, Sprey captures it with jaw-dropping fidelity. The traps slam, the cymbals shimmer; the bass plucks, the wood resonates; the piano hammers and glows. You have to go back to some of those Ellington/Hodges LPS, the original six-eye Columbias, to get such a warm, detailed sound.

Check out the rest of the band: pianist Larry Willis, a Mapleshade staple, who tosses off chords as if they were bouquets; Walter Booker, who's played bass for Cannonball Adderley, Sarah Vaughan and Pharaoh Sanders, to name a few; and Jimmy Cobb, the drummer on Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, At The Blackhawk and other gems. (You'll recognize the cymbal style.) They play standards, mainly from the Ellington book. Nothing adventurous but utterly authoritative. Music for that rainy day.

Fall 1995

Value: A+
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------=>
Hamiet Bluiett Sextet:
Young Warrior, Old Warrior
/Mapleshade Records

Hamiet Bluiett, bari sax
Jack Walrath, trumpet
Mark Shim, tenor sax
Larry Willis, piano
Keter Betts, bass
Jimmy Cobb, drums

TRACK LISTING:
1.BLUE 'N BOOGIE (J.B.Gillespie)
2.PRECIOUS MOMENTS FOR RIGHT NOW (H.Bluiett)
3.SIR PHYLLIS BLUES (H.Bluiett)
4.THINKING ABOUT IT (L.Willis)
5.JIMMY AND ME (Bluiett/Cobb)
6.BARI-ED TREASURE (J.Walrath)
7.HEAD START (K.Betts)
8.BLUES IN F AND G (K.Betts)

The Village Voice’s Gary Giddins picked this as one of his Best Jazz Discs of the Year. If you’re a fan of blues-steeped jazz with an unstoppable groove, you have to hear this CD. ('95)

Stereophile:
from QuarterNotes by Wes Phillips

Boy, does Young Warrior, Old Warrior sound live! Not in-your-face bright, just can't-ignore-it there. And these guys are having a rompin', stompin', honkin' good time. Me too. Rooted in space by Keter Betts' (remember him from the Charlie Byrd record on Analogue Productions?) Big, blooming bass and defined in time by Jimmy Cobb's trap-set, this disc sounds awesomely present. There's no sound in all of jazz like Hamiet Bluiett on bari sax - he can play everything, from honks and grunts to the most soulfully expressive ballad - and I've never heard it more perfectly captured than here. Irresistible.

December 1995

Sonic quality, Value: A/A- (Agreed w/above quote,slightly bright(on certain busy tracks with trumpet particularly);Value given in regards only to other Mapleshade offerings!);Also interesting to note, this upper mid-range brightness(trumpet) can be taken out here by my switching from the mid-range promenance of the k-701s to my DT-990s(known to have a slight recess to their mids, as the cymbals are recorded, oh so very nicely!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #4,314 of 137,461
Hawkwind - A Space Ritual

61MWu6fyDYL._AA240_.jpg

Il Trittico: Gianni Schicchi - Puccini - The Great Opera Collection

61QApSE4mZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The final CD of the 15 disc box set - very good stuff

On to my next new boxed set

Boult - Vaunghn Williams - A Sea Symphony (from the EMI boxed set)

31EZVS41FML._SL500_AA180_.jpg

Paris Combo - Motifs

6188HWE72YL._AA240_.jpg

Van Cliburn - Great Pianists of the 20th Century

41FNXMXM27L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Mar 31, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #4,320 of 137,461

Johannes Brahms, Symphony No. 3
A nostalgic detour into tonality.

-

Geert van Keulen, Horn Concerto
: )

-

Georg Friedrich Haas, in vain
Sylvain Cambreling and the Klangforum Wien... does it get better??? Well....

-

for me... yes....

Wolfgang Mitterer, Concerto for Piano and Electronics
: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back