What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jun 18, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #42,977 of 136,847
Sega just released the demo for the upcoming North American release of Hatsune Miku [Project DIVA F] on PS3!  It only has three songs available to play, but I love it so much! Definitely cannot wait for the full release. Here is "Weekender Girl" from kz/HachioujiP. It's one of the few songs selected for the demo.

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #42,978 of 136,847
Quote:
Alan Parsons (The recording Engineer on Pink Floyd's DSOTM album) and his group, the Alan Parson Project have recorded 18 group or solo albums since the 1970's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Parsons

I would highly recommend checking them out.

When i was younger my friend was into Alan parsons in a big way. I had one of his tracks on a BBC compilation album somewhere but it didn't really do anything for me - oh how things have changed! I'm listening to I ROBOT and THE TURN OF A FRIENDLY CARD at the moment and all i can say is - WOW! how could i have over looked this stuff for so long. its kind of like how i rediscovered Traffic a few weeks back but this stuff is on a completely different level in fairness. 

Thanks for the info

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #42,979 of 136,847

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #42,980 of 136,847
Quote:
I slept through about half of Tomorrow's Harvest so I guess I didn't find my first listen very engaging.

I listened through it three times in a row, which is something I very rarely do.
I found it engaging, but there were times when it felt rather discontinuous. Very start-stop-start-stop.
BoC have always preferred having multiple short tracks, rather than having fewer longer more fleshed out ideas. More sketchbook than mural. Tomorrow's Harvest is also very much a sketchbook, but where the separate ideas on earlier releases have felt more like different pieces of the same puzzle, on this one it feels much more jumbled together.
The second half of the album, Palace Posy and onward, fare much better in this regard, I think. 

Lots of Moritz von Oswald.

Jun 18, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #42,982 of 136,847
Quote:
Quote:
Alan Parsons (The recording Engineer on Pink Floyd's DSOTM album) and his group, the Alan Parson Project have recorded 18 group or solo albums since the 1970's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Parsons

I would highly recommend checking them out.

When i was younger my friend was into Alan parsons in a big way. I had one of his tracks on a BBC compilation album somewhere but it didn't really do anything for me - oh how things have changed! I'm listening to I ROBOT and THE TURN OF A FRIENDLY CARD at the moment and all i can say is - WOW! how could i have over looked this stuff for so long. its kind of like how i rediscovered Traffic a few weeks back but this stuff is on a completely different level in fairness. 

Thanks for the info

There is a fair amount of high res DVD-A/DTS releases for him too. He is a great artist and a great recording engineer.

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #42,984 of 136,847

Old And In The Way - Old And In The Way (1975)

[size=13.333333015441895px]  

[/size]
[size=13.333333015441895px] [size=11.333333015441895px]Old And In The Way were a bluegrass 'supergroup' active from 1973 to 1974.[/size]

[size=11.333333015441895px][/size][size=11.333333015441895px]Old And In The Way were a supergroup in that their members were already established and well known musicians when they got together. The five members were Jerry Garcia(banjo/vocals), Peter Rowan (guitar/vocals), David Grisman(mandolin/vocals), Vassar Clements (fiddle) and John Kahn (bass). Garcia was of course well known as the lead guitarist of rock band The Grateful Dead, but his roots had always been in bluegrass and folk music. With Old And In The Way he got the chance to show off his talents on the banjo. Both Rowan and Grisman had backgrounds in bluegrass dating back into the 60s, and had also played together in psychedelic rock group Earth Opera. Clements was the oldest member of the band, and was a highly regarded fiddle player having worked in bluegrass, jazz and swing genres, and been a member of Bill Monroe's band in the 50s. John Kahn had played with various jazz and rock groups throughout the 60s (including The Live Adventures Of Mike Bloomfield & Al Kooper), and would come to be Garcia's most regular long-term collaborator outside the Grateful Dead. Rowan, Grisman and Kahn had all played together before in Muleskinner, an earlier bluegrass supergroup.
The quintet performed live from 1973 until 1974, but didn't record anything during their time together. However in '75 a live recording was released, from a gig in October '73. The songs were a mix of covers (including The Rolling Stones' "Wild Horses") and originals. The most notable songwriter among them was Peter Rowan, who brought the excellent songs "Panama Red", "Land Of The Navajo" and "Midnight Moonlight". "Panama Red" was also recorded around the same time by theNew Riders Of The Purple Sage, and Rowan wouldn't release his own versions of these songs until his solo debut in 1978.[/size]
[/size]

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #42,987 of 136,847
Black Sabbath's new album "13" is absolutely fantastic. I highly recommend listening to it if you're a classic rock/metal/Sabbath fan.

black-sabbath-13-1370285735.jpg

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #42,988 of 136,847
Quote:
Sega just released the demo for the upcoming North American release of Hatsune Miku [Project DIVA F] on PS3!  It only has three songs available to play, but I love it so much! Definitely cannot wait for the full release. Here is "Weekender Girl" from kz/HachioujiP. It's one of the few songs selected for the demo.

I was really happy when they announced Project DIVA F was coming to the west. I'm a big fan of old school tough-as-nails rhythm games like Amplitude and Beatmania. I hope to get plenty of entertainment out of the game once it comes out.

Quote:
Quote:
I slept through about half of Tomorrow's Harvest so I guess I didn't find my first listen very engaging.

I listened through it three times in a row, which is something I very rarely do.
I found it engaging, but there were times when it felt rather discontinuous. Very start-stop-start-stop.
BoC have always preferred having multiple short tracks, rather than having fewer longer more fleshed out ideas. More sketchbook than mural. Tomorrow's Harvest is also very much a sketchbook, but where the separate ideas on earlier releases have felt more like different pieces of the same puzzle, on this one it feels much more jumbled together.
The second half of the album, Palace Posy and onward, fare much better in this regard, I think.

I'm definitely more of a fan of longer songs. It's difficult for me to take any song that's less than two minutes long seriously unless it's really really good. I'll have to re-listen to the album at some point, but I think I'll let some time pass before I try that. Hopefully I won't fall asleep again.

The CD even though I bought the vinyl today because I still haven't heard a word of my turntable. I've upgraded every component in my system since I last heard this album so it definitely sounded different from how I remember. It's really well recorded but the dynamics are a bit too squashed during the loudest parts. Hopefully the LP doesn't suffer from this.

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #42,989 of 136,847
Quote:
Black Sabbath's new album "13" is absolutely fantastic. I highly recommend listening to it if you're a classic rock/metal/Sabbath fan.

Agreed-this is the closest they've come to the sound of their original first few classics.  Sweet Leaf, Paranoid, etc. It's like they realized the influence those first few albums had over the past 30 + years and they themselves were influenced by all the bands they originally influenced...kind of a "back to the future" thing. Pretty cool.

There's been criticism of the SQ-the dynamic range. But, I was blown away by the songs themselves. Not as great as those first few pre metal milestones, but clearly inspired by the same spirit. I'm not sure that's really Ozy singing...it sounds to good
normal_smile .gif
 Or, maybe his reality TV persona is just schtick.

It is refreshing though. When have the Rolling Stones, Dylan etc. put out an album that sounded one iota close to their original classics?

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #42,990 of 136,847
Quote:
I was really happy when they announced Project DIVA F was coming to the west. I'm a big fan of old school tough-as-nails rhythm games like Amplitude and Beatmania. I hope to get plenty of entertainment out of the game once it comes out.

The CD even though I bought the vinyl today because I still haven't heard a word of my turntable. I've upgraded every component in my system since I last heard this album so it definitely sounded different from how I remember. It's really well recorded but the dynamics are a bit too squashed during the loudest parts. Hopefully the LP doesn't suffer from this.

I can't wait. I'm still not too certain of the release format. I really do wish they release a physical copy of the game rather than just in digital.  I can honestly say that I've had a hard time trying to get used to the controls. I struggled even on 'Easy', lol. I do blame the fact that I haven't played my PS3 in a long while, but I am getting a hang of it and have gotten passed the 'Easy' difficulty.

I haven't heard this album. I only own four of their albums, will give this a listen before I buy it though. :)

And still no word on your turntable? I hope you get it soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back