What are the best headphones to buy?
Apr 25, 2013 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Truesound

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to the forums and I'm wondering what headphones I should buy? My budget for the Headphones + any equipment I need (Amp?) is around £2000
I'm not an audophile, I just enjoy good sound and would like to purchase some top quality headphones. I was thinking about the Sennheiser HD 800's, however I've read some reviews that state they're overrated.

I like plenty of Bass, but not too much as I don't want to have headphones that sound 'muddy'. I listen to mostly dance, techno,hip-hop and nu metal. Any advice/guidance would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #2 of 16
By the sound of your taste in music, maybe you should investigate the Audeze LCD2 ($1150) and pair it with a very good amp & DAC.

But if you're really not an audiophile, you'll probably be SUPER happy with an HE-400 ($400), and get a decent amp+dac ($200-300)

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #3 of 16
I've read some good things about the LCD-2, I've also read the Denon AHD D7000 is meant to be really good. I've read a thread where people have said that rap/hip-hop sounds really bad on the HD 800's. 

The problem is, I'll have a hard time testing these phones as there is no store by me that stocks them... That's why I've come here to get some opinions. The LCD-2 seems like a great choice as the bass is meant to be out of the world (as well as the midrange). The sound stage is meant to be quite small though, but I'm not too borthered about a big sound stage.

Thank you for your input it is really appreciated. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #4 of 16
Maybe im a cheap skate, but isnt there diminishing returns on quality as the price goes up?  I just got denon AH-D600 for $220 used and its hard to image something sounding noticeably better.  being 25ohms it doesnt even need a fancy pants amp to sound good.  

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
I've read some good things about the LCD-2, I've also read the Denon AHD D7000 is meant to be really good. I've read a thread where people have said that rap/hip-hop sounds really bad on the HD 800's. 

Try not to go by 'what you've read' as ultimately everyone hears differently and you might actually like the HD800 if you heard it. But it is bass light, so I wouldn't recommend it for your needs.

Quote:
Maybe im a cheap skate, but isnt there diminishing returns on quality as the price goes up?  I just got denon AH-D600 for $220 used and its hard to image something sounding noticeably better.  being 25ohms it doesnt even need a fancy pants amp to sound good.  

There are diminishing returns in every hobby. Most people feel the returns in HIFI audio equipment are dramatically less, but this has more to do with not being trained to listen or not being an experienced listener, rather than something scientifically measurable.
(About listening, I'm talking about musicians and those who record/master music professionally have been actively listening to music and equipment for many years and therefore will naturally have more specific and tighter personal regulations on what they put on their head compared to someone who passively enjoys music - my best headphone is the HE-500, but I don't feel the returns are so greatly diminished, as I prefer them to the HD800 for example)

Also what's better for one person can be radically different to another.
Personally I really dislike Denon's new line up of high end headphones, so what's 'better' for me encompasses a number of cheaper headphones, simply as a matter of taste.
So no, you're not a cheapskate, you've just come to the end (or very close to the end) of your audio journey.... for now. 
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 16
I've decided to go for the LCD-2. I don't have much choice on going by what I 'read' as it's hard to get a demo on any of these phones in the UK. I'm currently trying to find a good DAC/amp for them, I want to get a DAC+Amp all in one. I was thinking maybe the Burson HA160D. Again, I've only gone by what I have read. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 16
Apr 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
I've decided to go for the LCD-2. I don't have much choice on going by what I 'read' as it's hard to get a demo on any of these phones in the UK. I'm currently trying to find a good DAC/amp for them, I want to get a DAC+Amp all in one. I was thinking maybe the Burson HA160D. Again, I've only gone by what I have read. 

160D is a solid choice, however the Burson Soloist puts more power into them. (its only a headamp/preamp no Dac.)

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 16
Thanks for the info GREQ, I'm probably going to buy the LCD-2 from someone on these forums. 

Apparently the 160D only gives out 250mw, is this enough for this headphone? I want to get the best possible sound from these cans... I don't mind buying the soloist, and then perhaps getting a separate DAC? I'm aware there's lots of different opinions on this subject which is why its incredibly hard to decide. I can feel my wallet draining already.. I can understand how people can spend tens of thousands on this stuff.

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 16
The LCD-02 has big solid punchy deep bass and realy wide soundstage with amazing midrange and good detailed highs if pair with right AMPs/DAC(tube AMPs are recommended)..

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 16
I've read a few reviews of people using the 160D and Audeze headphones as well, like jack said the Soloist is more ideal (4 watts output) and future proof option in case you want to go with the HE-500 or even HE-600 in the future. 

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 16
I've had a look at these headphones however, I'm still going for the LCD-2's, as I know I'd still want them in the future anyway. I may get the Denons at some other point though. I've decided to get the Soloist as I'd like something that's a little futureproof. I'm just deciding on a DAC, I would like a DAC that is ideally no more than $1500. 

Let the search commence... Thank you all for your input, all the help you've given me is highly appreciated. Would a DAC be necessary though? Or would LCD2+ soloist be enough? I've heard that you need a DAC to truly get the most out of that combo.

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
I've had a look at these headphones however, I'm still going for the LCD-2's, as I know I'd still want them in the future anyway. I may get the Denons at some other point though. I've decided to get the Soloist as I'd like something that's a little futureproof. I'm just deciding on a DAC, I would like a DAC that is ideally no more than $1500. 

Let the search commence... Thank you all for your input, all the help you've given me is highly appreciated. Would a DAC be necessary though? Or would LCD2+ soloist be enough? I've heard that you need a DAC to truly get the most out of that combo.

Are you just jumping straight into the high end and seeing what everyone thinks is the best? Have you had experience with any other headphones? Because just throwing money at head-fi is not really a wise decision. This community is filled with circle-jerks, diminishing returns, hype-trains, and marketing. For example, I heard a system that all the head-fi hyped components, and cost a small fortune, and really wasn't convinced it was worth it. In fact I preferred a much cheaper set up.

And no a DAC is not necessary if you have a good sound card. Because that's all it really is: a soundcard. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back