What are the best headphones for Electronic Music.
May 11, 2011 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

DotChannel

Head-Fier
Basically I want to know, what are the best headphones you can get for Electronic Music? I don't want multiples. I want just a single amazing set of cans. Which ones would really bring out the hard electronic sounds is something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzYPV3qssRE . Or the individual little acid bleeps and synth 808s of old skool House? I want to hear my House, IDM, and Old Skool in a quality perspective.

Thanks. 
smile.gif

May 11, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 18
ultrasone pro 900.  the bass alone will blow your mind, and once you burn them in (i'm about 100 hours into mine) they get even better, and the treble becomes a lot less sibilant. as for an all-arounder can, you can do the kee's mod and add some damping (just do a search on the forum, almost everyone who has these phones hast at least tried the mod!) i'm waiting till mine fully burn in before i try anything but so far, i just can't put em down. i listen to almost exclusively electronica, house, dubstep, and trance and these have ended my headphone search.. at least for a while :) 

May 11, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 18
Really depends on what budget you're looking at, whether or not they have to be portable and where your music is coming from; soundcard, desktop DAC, MP3 player etc.

Budget wise I would suggest the Sony XB500 ~ very good for electronica especially if you like that in-the-car subwoofer sound.

May 11, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
Below $500 dollars is my limit. 
smile.gif

You'll have a hard time going wrong with the pro 900's. In your budget and stand out cans.
You can run them without an amp easily, but with one they really *really* shine.

May 12, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Thank you guys so much! 
smile.gif
 I will definately check out the Pro 900 cans.

[size=medium]
you won't regret it. just remember, if you find your ears bleeding listening to them right out of the box, give them at least 100 (most people say 400 because of the titanium drivers) hours of burn in and you'll be amazed. i really can't say enough about these phones; i am waiting for my 990/600's to arrive and can't wait to compare them, but i'm fairly sure that i'll use the pro 900's for my music and the 990's for gaming and TV. i also plan on purchasing the blue dragon cable somewhere down the road as most pro 900 owners report the cable makes the bass even better while mellowing out the highs a bit. 

as to the HFI 780, i've read that it's a great deal for the price, especially for this genre. however i've not heard it so i can't really say!  buy it and let us know 
L3000.gif

[/size]

May 12, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
(most people say 400 because of the titanium drivers) hours of burn in and you'll be amazed.

I can't tell if this is serious or a parody of audiophilia. 400 hours=16 days. If you don't like them afterwards, sorry, you can't return them.

May 12, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #14 of 18

I can't tell if this is serious or a parody of audiophilia. 400 hours=16 days. If you don't like them afterwards, sorry, you can't return them.

A lot of places do 30 day returns, and it's 400 tops if you don't like the sound by 100 or so you probably just won't like it.

Burn in just means playing stuff through them. Leave 'em on and go about your buisness.

May 12, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Quote:

A lot of places do 30 day returns, and it's 400 tops if you don't like the sound by 100 or so you probably just won't like it.

Burn in just means playing stuff through them. Leave 'em on and go about your buisness.

yeah. honestly, i've nowhere near enough experience to say i believe strongly either way, and the majority of this "burn in" has occurred on my head, listening to music so... i can say with absolute certainty that the sibilance that made me almost want to return them on the spot is now, after just two days, almost entirely gone. these headphones just continue to blow my mind. i've already found a buyer for my DT880's and DT770's and all that will remain is the 990s and the pro 900 :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back