What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Nov 8, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #13,171 of 14,566
For some people probably but I was referring to the counterpoint provided by the previous guy that if nobody cares about dsd then why do dacs that list it as one of many supported technologies sell

To check the boxes. Afraid to fall short on any of the "latest technologies". They want to believe all the (payed) reviewers talk. Imagine you bought a DAC, someone asked if it does DSD and you had answer: no it does not. That would make you the laughing stock of the high end community.
Do these DAC's really sell because of that feature? Don't think so. They are cheap and measure great.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #13,172 of 14,566
For some people probably but I was referring to the counterpoint provided by the previous guy that if nobody cares about dsd then why do dacs that list it as one of many supported technologies sell

Maybe if they supported ONLY DSD they wouldn't sell, perhaps? Obviously it's because they support mainstream PCM that they sell. That, and many of them are cheap. DSD support may be an added attraction for a few, but a meaningless one for the vast majority of consumers.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #13,173 of 14,566
Maybe if they supported ONLY DSD they wouldn't sell, perhaps? Obviously it's because they support mainstream PCM that they sell. That, and many of them are cheap. DSD support may be an added attraction for a few, but a meaningless one for the vast majority of consumers.
Yes, exactly. DSD users are a minority within a minority (and DSD-exclusive users are an even smaller group) so what's the point of catering to them.

Nov 9, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #13,174 of 14,566
Yes, exactly. DSD users are a minority within a minority (and DSD-exclusive users are an even smaller group) so what's the point of catering to them.
Why deploy MQA on a DAC? Why do I2S? Why do filter slope settings? Why support 32 bit PCM? Why have a fancy LCD display? And the list goes on and on and on. If there is a market, tiny, small, normal of huge, someone will try to make buck. Remember the boat and the floating.

Nov 9, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #13,175 of 14,566
Why deploy MQA on a DAC? Why do I2S? Why do filter slope settings? Why support 32 bit PCM? Why have a fancy LCD display? And the list goes on and on and on. If there is a market, tiny, small, normal of huge, someone will try to make buck. Remember the boat and the floating.
Difference between MQA and DSD though is that there are numerous MQA recordings readily available on Tidal for streaming. Whether they sound better or not is subjective but it's not as obscure of a format as DSD. As for the rest of the technologies you mentioned, most of them is buzzword compliance

Nov 9, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #13,177 of 14,566
My Sol 50 Hz project is coming to an end in a very positive way.
The VFD is running at 60 Hz and as in the last Fremer review the Sol is running a little slow.
I can now adjust the frequency with 0.01 Hz steps to get to the exact RPM. :beyersmile:
Calculated it woudl need an extra 0.23 Hz to get to the right speed.

sol.jpg rpm.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #13,178 of 14,566
Pinned it down to 60.34 Hz to get to the exact right RPM.
At the end it is simple but to find the right gear was not easy.
What I now have is a VFD that has 0.02% frequency stability that can be adjusted with 0.01 Hz steps.
Next I took a 230V - 16V AC wall warth to feed the motor. That's all. Works like a charm.

One important note though, the VFD has a fan that makes a lot of noise.
Happily no problem for me. I put it in the wall closed where the switch box is and feed a marked 60Hz wall socket with a seperate cable through the crawl space of my home.

This must be the first Sol in operation in a 230V 50Hz country, or did someone beat me to it?

rpm2.jpg 6034.jpg

Look at those numbers!! OMG.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #13,180 of 14,566
Schiit doesn't do any of that stuff either.
Ah I see. That's why I couldn't find any of it when I was looking at my Yggdrasil.
In other words, did you read back the entries that led to this post? I was trying to explain just that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back