What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 11, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #2,312 of 14,566
Back almost 20 years ago when I had Bob Carvers "Amazing" ribbon/cone hybrid speakers I remember the term "sonic holography" in conjunction with a small box of circuitry of Carvers design. If I remember correctly.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #2,313 of 14,566
Carver's C9 Sonic Holographic Generator was basically an analog spatial recreation system, meaning it used delay, EQ and reverb to create interesting psychoacoustic spatial effects.  Polk's SDA technology (and various offerings from Dolby) do pretty much the same things.  From the hints that have been given I suspect Manhattan is not this at all.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #2,314 of 14,566
Boy, those Schiit guys really know how to build suspense.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #2,316 of 14,566
  Still have one of those Carver c9's somewhere :)

I wish I still had the speakers but no place to set them up since retiring / downsizing.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #2,317 of 14,566

Why do you say "of course"? What do you find so compelling that you've already decided to buy one?

The five pieces of Schitt gear I've bought have all been good sounding gear. Three are my current headphone setup and the other two my older son uses. I respect Mr. Moffat both as a designer and a listener. If he is willing to modify his quest for good music I'll try it too.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #2,318 of 14,566

Why do you say "of course"? What do you find so compelling that you've already decided to buy one?

My personal reasoning is simply the fact that Mike has said it'll change the way music sounds in a "pleasant" way - I've never cared for supremely accurate gear (eg. HD800, solid state amps with analytical sounding headphones, so on), my hearing is quite sensitive (to treble especially) so I've always been an HD650, LCD-2, ZMF Atticus, tube amp kind of guy. At least until the Jotunheim came along! I'm glad it pairs nicely with my warmer headphones, either way, I digress. Bottom line, if the MP makes music sound more lively rather than artificial and helps you connect further with what you're listening to then I'm willing to buy one without even reading impressions.

As has been said, there is a return policy that Schiit take very seriously - I'm fairly sure it'll never come to that but if it did, then there's always that to fall back on. I might be reading too much into the bits and bobs Mike has disclosed but to me audio is a means to an end - fun, joy and having a good time. To me it sounds like that's what the MP is about. I'm at the point where anything different interests me, if Mike wants to phuc with the source material then I'm sure as hell gonna be there to see how it turns out when all is ready.

Edit, PS: Plus, as @Bazile mentioned, at this point most of my gear is Schiit - 2x Jotunheim, 2 Modi MBs, a Mjolnir 2 and Freya inbound; this won't be the end of it either, I'm eyeing a Gungnir MB to replace one of the modis. I trust Mike and Jason's capabilities and professionalism beyond any other manufacturer's.

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #2,319 of 14,566
What an odd question.  Mike has given us no reason not to be excited about stuff he creates.  It's a no brainer.  That's how consumer trust works.  What fan of Steven Spielberg is not going to buy a ticket to his next movie?

Worst case, Schiit has a 15 day return policy...

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2,320 of 14,566
  What an odd question.  Mike has given us no reason not to be excited about stuff he creates.  It's a no brainer.  That's how consumer trust works.  What fan of Steven Spielberg is not going to buy a ticket to his next movie?

Agreed...

biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #2,321 of 14,566

When Yggdrasil came out, Mike put his reputation on the line by saying that It was the best DAC he knew how to make. That was why it was the first purchase for me from Schiit.

I am looking forward to doing it again with The Gadget.(and I want to hear all the "Demon Core" stories)

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #2,323 of 14,566
Interesting, I thought my ERC-3's ("precision bit-perfect digital CD transport", per the manual) AES/EBU into Yggy was already pretty un-smeared and the sound out of any of my headphone amps, of course, is top shelf Schiit.

Still, sounds like MP might be a rewarding addition to my Schiit line up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back