Whaaaaa! Grados reveal how my receiver sucks!
Sep 24, 2005 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

malthis

New Head-Fier
Well, so begins my long dark decent.

I recently borrowed some Grado SR 60s from a friend. It's my first "Audiophile" league can. I hook them up and I'm groov'n from my walkman. I plug them into my reciever, a Yamaha HTR-5240, and I'm groov'n more. Yeah baby. But, i am a classical fanatic, and the real test begins (on a side note, I've become unsatified with the Grados 'in your face' soundstage, and am looking for a permenant can. more later)
So I'm playing M2 1st movement (that's Mahler's 2nd symphony to the uninitiated). It's so goood on these cans! Turn it up!

Wait...what's that hiss....
...like static.

Hmmmm....my first thought was 'it's in the recording'. So I switch to another classical CD, and crank up the volume. There's that hiss again. Can it be the headphone output is total crap? Well, I checked using my speakers at high volume, and the hiss IS there, I just never dared turn the dial that high before on my mains. The Grados, detail manics that they are, made certain i would hear it.

So now I don't know what to do. I guess I'll have to get a headphone amp, but then I'll know that hiss is lurking in the background of my speakers too, even if I don't hear it. Ahhh, the agony of the audiophile.

I'm going to try another receiver, a harmon kardon from years back, to see if I get the same results. Even if it does, it's a short term measure. I need a solution! Any suggestions?

Sep 24, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 4
Yeah, receivers definately aren't the greatest thing for your headphones.

Now, I'm using one, however the volume knob goes from 0 to 10, and I listen anywhere from 1-2. (over 2 being VERY loud) Hiss is only audible when I turn it up to around 4-5 and higher, with no music playing. If there was something playing at that volume I'd go deaf faster than I'd hear the hiss.

Another interesting thing I notice is that if I switch from say, "Video" to "TV/LD" on my receiver, if I turn it up loud enough I can slightly hear the sound I have routed to the "Video" port in the back.

So yeah, they really aren't designed for their headphone jacks... an amp should solve the problem. That is, unless the hiss is coming from your source. Then it'll amplify it.

Sep 24, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 4
Some of the older receivers (pre-1980) have decent headphone out. I picked up a Realistic receiver that sounds relativly good, considering I paid $18 shipped for it. It deffinitly lacks the speed and sharpness of my headphone amps and I am no top end audiophile by any means. If you are going for a dedicated headphone amp and want to do it on the cheap side, try a cmoy or other small portable battery powered amp. I have a DIY made one that originally had the same OPA as the Grado RA-1 and because the Op Amp was the socketed type I just bout others to try and or switch out with it as I like. (I have since aquired a few other amps). Beware, the whole head-fi thing is very addictive.

Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back