Westone UM3X RC question..
Oct 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Goofyboy84

Head-Fier
Hello!! I have been browsing the forum for quite some time and I have received a lot of helpful information. =) I have a couple of questions regarding the Westone UM3X RC please. I will be purchasing a set of these soon. 1) If I want to upgrade the cable, who makes them? 2) portable amp.. Can someone point me in the right direction for these? 3) I am going to be using the IPhone 3GS as the source for my music.. I will be upgrading to the iPhone 5 in the future. Will I notice a difference in sound? Please bear with me, I am new to the headphone scene, but not new to good sound quality! Thanks a bunch!! Zach

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 11
Hopefully you really won't need to add anything.  It is very self-sufficient.  Great cable, great efficiency, great sound right out of the box.  Well worth the money.  Being a true monitor it is a little closed in sounding but everything else about it is technically amazing.  Instrument separation is freakish.  Perhaps Westone's greatest engineered product IMHO.

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 11
You won't regret it! They are great and the instrument separation is second to none. Feels like your right there listening on stage.
So Engadget posted a article about mobile devices, to be honest the um3x rc are very low impendace so the output from the iPhone will be more than sufficient
http://m.engadget.com/2012/10/02/iphone-vs-rivals-audio-tests/
I drive my um3x rc straight from my iPhone4
In terms of amps
http://www.headfonia.com/the-320-portable-dacamp-matrix-mini-portable/2/
Seems quite a versatile amp, I don't own it but sounds rich and dark if that's your thang. You can always eq from a computer. The beauty of the um3x is there fairly polite but can really handle the eq with ease.

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 11
1) Whiplash/ Toxic Cables/ Silver Dragon... etc
2) My UM3x doesnt seem to benefit much from external amping. Perhaps there's a touch more of bass when amping.
3) I dont know

+ 1 for toxic cables and i have one um3x for sale:D

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 11
Dec 17, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #11 of 11
Well it’s been 8 years since this thread and I’m still enjoying my UM3X by Westone!
I’m looking for an UPGRADE. Perhaps the W60 by Westone or something in that price range.

I will be driving them with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I MIGHT do an amp this time! MIGHT!!!!

Can you all give me some suggestions??
I love the sound signature with these, I’m just wanting MORE.... like we all do! 😁

Thank you so so much!!!!! Zach

(I’m willing to explore another brand, maybe! Unless I can achieve the same sound signature with more expensive Westone’s.)

Please educate me a bit. I want loud, and low hitting, I want sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back