Westone UM3x Channel Problem
Aug 6, 2013 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Dyaems

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, not sure where to post this, but I need some help, opinions, and suggestions on how to fix my friend's UM3x. His UM3x is having problems, and sound coming from one channel is really weak.

This happened after around 3 months of not in use, but the UM3x just stays inside a TF10 case without anyone using it. I thought it was the cable, since the cable is usually the first thing that will stop working for an IEM in my experience, but I was wrong. I replaced the cable with a known working one, which is another stock westone cable that I borrowed from a friend and it is still doing the same issue.

Since the IEM is already out of warranty, so I decided to open it up (and sorry for no pics), and noticed that the earpiece that has problems is too hard to open up, something like a thick superglue is holding one part inside the shell, I opened the other earpiece that is working to see if it will do the same thing, but I have opened it without problems. Once the earpiece that has problems has been opened up, I tried playing a music file, and it gives normal volume. I tried opening up the other earpiece to compare how loud both of them, and they have pretty much the same volume level.

So I conclude that something inside the nozzle is blocking the sound. The problem is, I do not have any idea how to clean the nozzle since it splits into Y once the nozzle goes inside the shell, and it is too small the view what is inside the nozzle.

Anyone has an idea how to fix it? Of course, last resort is to have it reshelled but prefer not to since the sound will definitely change, or transfer the UM3x to another shell or something.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back