Westone UM2
Sep 12, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #17 of 128
It's not just the midrange that is incredible, it's the whole spectrum of sound these things are producing. The dynamics of sound, from extreme to extreme is amazing. These have to be heard to experience their dynamic sound quality. Guaranteed, if you spend some time with these, after achieving a proper seal and fit, you will be amazed by their sound. The midrange is just knocking me out it's so good. I'm not going to say the inevitable just yet but I will say haven't hit that "diminishing returns" spot yet. And there's a deeper meaning to that last sentence.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #18 of 128
I am glad to hear you are enjoying your UM2's. I fall asleep with them, best sleeping pill there is! Listening to Chopin nocturnes as you drift away with a pair of comfortable IEM's in place is wonderful.

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #19 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am glad to hear you are enjoying your UM2's. I fall asleep with them, best sleeping pill there is! Listening to Chopin nocturnes as you drift away with a pair of comfortable IEM's in place is wonderful.

Good grief! You have good taste in music.
smily_headphones1.gif
Not that I listen to much classical, I don't, but I always love the quality of sound from it. I just don't have a library of it. I can't imagine how wonderful it would sound with these high end canalphones. I may try to build my library in another branch.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #22 of 128
lewislink - I'm shocked that you are struggling with the fit. I found them among the easiest ever? I tried the Shure olives but because the Westone nozzle is thinner than the Shures, they just don't feel secure on the stem and I actually got one stock in my ear. I have been using the standard complys since and they are holding up fine. I actually prefer them because they are longer than olives so the really grab your ear canal and stay there.

One tip when inserting them. When compressing the comply with your fingertips before inserting in ear, push it slightly back toward the housing to ensure full exposure of the end of the sound bore where the music comes out. People talk about a slightly muffled sound with foam/complys but when I do this I can't tell any difference and shouldn't as long as the end of the stem is completely free from blockage. Even when using silicones there is much more inhibiting the sound from coming through the tip since there is a few millimeters difference between the end of the stem and the end of the silicone tip AND THIS AFFECTS THE SOUND!

Yup, they sound great! They may not be perfect (that's Westone 3) but they are the most natural and smooth sounding IEM I have ever used.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #23 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lewislink - I'm shocked that you are struggling with the fit. I found them among the easiest ever? I tried the Shure olives but because the Westone nozzle is thinner than the Shures, they just don't feel secure on the stem and I actually got one stock in my ear. I have been using the standard complys since and they are holding up fine. I actually prefer them because they are longer than olives so the really grab your ear canal and stay there.

One tip when inserting them. When compressing the comply with your fingertips before inserting in ear, push it slightly back toward the housing to ensure full exposure of the end of the sound bore where the music comes out. People talk about a slightly muffled sound with foam/complys but when I do this I can't tell any difference and shouldn't as long as the end of the stem is completely free from blockage. Even when using silicones there is much more inhibiting the sound from coming through the tip since there is a few millimeters difference between the end of the stem and the end of the silicone tip AND THIS AFFECTS THE SOUND!

Yup, they sound great! They may not be perfect (that's Westone 3) but they are the most natural and smooth sounding IEM I have ever used.

LOL...Don't be shocked. I'm one of those kind of people that's on the fringe for a product being designed for. Usually when a product is designed for universality, I'm just outside the sphere of of consideration...lol...I'm unusual...LOL.

Sep 12, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #24 of 128
As the the early posts in this thread can attest, I had some difficulty fitting these UM2 with just about everything I found. The sleeves I love best for any canalphones that they will fit on are the Klipsch gels. Because the nozzles on these UM2s are so short and because the shape of the UM2's body the gels wouldn't go deep enough in my ears to properly seal and be secure fitting. I pretty much had to rely on the Comply "P" Standard size foams for a proper fit. I don't like Comply foams because of the durability issues and they become very soft and unmanageable when removing the phones for something like an itch.

That was then and this is now. I have come upon a mod that I think is going to work well, allowing me to use the Klipsch gels effectively. I went to Lowes hardware and found some nylon bushings that are basically little tubs with an inside diameter that perfectly fits the UM2's nozzles. They're outside diameter is a little smaller than the UE 4 nozzles and will fit a gels sufficiently. I simply cut the bushing to desired length and pressed it onto the UM2's nozzle and put the gel on the other end and Viola! Proper, easy seal and the isolation is outstanding. The bass is also improved..heck, the whole sound is improved.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #26 of 128
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you post a picture?

X2 Think I've got picture right but be interesting to see it

Sep 12, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #27 of 128
Here they are. The gel doesn't go over the ridge, it goes up to the base of it and it sufficiently tight not to come off. This, by the way, isn't what I plan on announcing about these canalphones. That is to come later, so keep an eye on the thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Westones008.jpg

Westones009.jpg

Westones010.jpg

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #28 of 128
Unfortunately, with these gels I modded onto the UM2s, I don't think I'm getting as strong or impact-ful of drums as I was getting with the Comply "P"s. I studied the issue and figured the gel orifice at the tip was causing the problem. It is about half the size of the front opening of the Comply foam.

I know the gel orifice size is limited to just the very front part of the gel so I trimmed the tip of the gel to a point where the hole was a bit larger. Sadly, though, I don't believe this fully helped. I think it helped a little but I'm still not hearing that deep impact with drums and such. I'm still evaluating it, though.

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #29 of 128
Oh well, I gave it the best I could to use gels but the sound just wasn't cooperating. I'd rather use the foams and have that deep impact in drums and that area of sound as use the gels and lose a bit of that same impact. Such a shame.
frown.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #30 of 128
lewislink, i'm eagerly waiting for your verdict on this one. does UM2 replace SA6 as your fav? haha. i'm planning to get one too.

does it have good synergy with D2 without amp?

btw, i'm not new to head-fi. already lurking in the back for quite sometimes haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back