westone UM2 worth the extra $100?
Mar 26, 2007 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

XENOPHOS

100+ Head-Fier
I have around a $350 budget for headphones and is the UM2 $100 better than the either the super fi 5 pros or the e4c? I've heard alot of good stuff about the UM2's but with that extra $100 I could buy like an ms-1 or something else

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 13
Cannot speak to e4.

IMHO, I preferred the SF.5 to the UM2 in terms of sound quality. It is more consistant (nearly every song sounds great) and I think it is brighter. I also think it sounds better at lower volumes.
The UM2 has a similar sound, but I think it needs to go a bit louder (not like over the top loud or anything) to really shine. Some songs just sound poor on them as well, right after a great sounding song - same source and not touching the headphones.

So the cheaper SF.5 sounds better . . . sounds like an easy choice, right?

Well, the other important factor is comfort and seal. The UM2 is a much much more comfortable IEM than the SF.5. It is very easy to get and keep a seal if you have all the Shure sleeves to try. It is very small and does not stick out. The SF.5 sticks out a bunch and for some (maybe many) it is tough to keep a seal. I always had to fiddle with mine and it drove me nuts. Had I decided to stay with a universal IEM, the UM2 would have been it based on all the factors.

That said, you can find a used pair of SF.5 for probably less than $100 . . . and get that money back out if they do not fit you.

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by XENOPHOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about the UM1? i've read some places that the UM2 isn't worth $200 more than the UM1 but how does the UM1 compare to the $180 shures and UE

From the limited time I had with the UM1, the UM2 is worth at least $100 more. Find a used pair and spend $220-$240 (I think).

I love the UM2 paired with my SuperMacro, but I might be inclined to look for a different pair of IEMs if I planned to pair them with a (seemingly) 'punchier' amp like the Tomahawk.

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 13
I've owned all three and I'd take the UM2 without looking back... easy call!

Apr 1, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 13
I take UM2 over er4s and e500...if that helps. Without looking back too, just love the percussion hits on um2.

Apr 1, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 13
From a short listen of the um2, I found it a tad too muddy for my liking. It would be nice if it had a bit more top end. Maybe I'm just not used to the bass coming from my um1.

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by norseman8485 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From a short listen of the um2, I found it a tad too muddy for my liking. It would be nice if it had a bit more top end. Maybe I'm just not used to the bass coming from my um1.

have you tried this mod?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&highlight=um1

hows the sq after the mod, since i dont have the um2s though?

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Indygreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cannot speak to e4.

IMHO, I preferred the SF.5 to the UM2 in terms of sound quality. It is more consistant (nearly every song sounds great) and I think it is brighter. I also think it sounds better at lower volumes.
The UM2 has a similar sound, but I think it needs to go a bit louder (not like over the top loud or anything) to really shine. Some songs just sound poor on them as well, right after a great sounding song - same source and not touching the headphones.

So the cheaper SF.5 sounds better . . . sounds like an easy choice, right?

Well, the other important factor is comfort and seal. The UM2 is a much much more comfortable IEM than the SF.5. It is very easy to get and keep a seal if you have all the Shure sleeves to try. It is very small and does not stick out. The SF.5 sticks out a bunch and for some (maybe many) it is tough to keep a seal. I always had to fiddle with mine and it drove me nuts. Had I decided to stay with a universal IEM, the UM2 would have been it based on all the factors.

That said, you can find a used pair of SF.5 for probably less than $100 . . . and get that money back out if they do not fit you.

hey, so far you're the odd one, but that's before i read this. i really feel the same. i guess this is probably come down to personal taste too. i just got the um2 for 2 months. and i don't like um2 at all. not detail as ety, and not as musical as ue. i guess i may even perfer metro fi or er6 to um2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back