Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Oct 9, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #721 of 3,037
I switched to UM2 after my Shure SE530 was broken within 9 months of use, been happy with them for 2 years until the cable broke so I switched to UM3x. Then one of the drivers died so i had to dig out my UM2 to use before I got my UM3x fixed, and I remembered how undetailed the UM2 sounded compared to the UM3x, so the difference of SQ is not insignificant, even tough the sound signature is quite similar. My Pro 30 now sound nearly or identical to my UM3x/UM3xRC and I do love that sound signature, quite balanced in everyway. I still use them as my reference IEM when I test the other headphones/IEMs before I buy them, and I also use them as reference to judge my mixes afterwards, if they sound good on my Pro 30, they will sound good with anything, speakers or phones.

I listened to UE900s (with s, the new version) and UM 30 pro briefly. I did not hear a significant difference between them and my UM2s. Maybe I have conflict of interest which affects my judgment for I don't want to spend money to buy a new set of IEMs for now... 
dt880smile.png

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #722 of 3,037

I listened to UE900s (with s, the new version) and UM 30 pro briefly. I did not hear a significant difference between them and my UM2s. Maybe I have conflict of interest which affects my judgment for I don't want to spend money to buy a new set of IEMs for now... 
dt880smile.png

Really, no difference between 900s and UMPro30?  I would have thought there would be a big difference.

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #723 of 3,037
  Really, no difference between 900s and UMPro30?  I would have thought there would be a big difference.

I could tell there is a big difference between my UM2s and GR07s. But I could not tell much difference between 30 pro, UE900s during my audition. As i I said briefly, in a matter of minutes, I did not have adequate time to make good judgment I reckon.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #724 of 3,037
From a distant memory, Pro 30 has MUCH more bass than UE900 but UE900 has MUCH larger soundstage (more expansive presentation).  Other than that they are quite similar.....but those are two significant differences.

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #725 of 3,037
  From a distant memory, Pro 30 has MUCH more bass than UE900 but UE900 has MUCH larger soundstage (more expansive presentation).  Other than that they are quite similar.....but those are two significant differences.

Maybe my ears have transformed so that I would be less vulnerable to excessive buying of IEM 
smily_headphones1.gif
 As of this year, I could still tell that UM2 and GR07 are MUCH better than the um 10 pro available for audition., and UM2 and GR07 are far cry from each other. So I am only confident that I can only hear big difference eg balance armature vs dynamic.

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #726 of 3,037
I can't compare the UM2 to my pro 30 anymore as I've given my um2 away already, but I can safely say the UE900s have much less bass compare to the Pro 30 but they have more clarity, and that's why I'm using the UE900s a lot less nowadays. I originally bought the UE900s hoping to replace my um3xRC with them.

I listened to UE900s (with s, the new version) and UM 30 pro briefly. I did not hear a significant difference between them and my UM2s. Maybe I have conflict of interest which affects my judgment for I don't want to spend money to buy a new set of IEMs for now... :dt880smile:

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #727 of 3,037
I am not sure if I have an odd ear configuration for enjoyment of most IEMs. I went throught SE215, SE535, Westone 2 and TDK BA200, finding discomfort/sibilance issues in all of them. Until I find UM2 which I have been using for more than two years. They sound dull at times with lack of sparkle in treble but it is such sound signature which makes it comfortable to listen for extended period. Recently I bought GR-07 classic for discounted price of $100 and again found them sibilant at times. I see there is a possibility that I might buy myself a pair of UE900 for extended trial but motivation is not that high to make it happen for now.  

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #728 of 3,037
I was told IEMs could get clotted up sometimes and lose the highs when they get clotted up, maybe that's what happened to our UM2. But the UE900s definitely have too much of the sparkle to my liking.

I am not sure if I have an odd ear configuration for enjoyment of most IEMs. I went throught SE215, SE535, Westone 2 and TDK BA200, finding discomfort/sibilance issues in all of them. Until I find UM2 which I have been using for more than two years. They sound dull at times with lack of sparkle in treble but it is such sound signature which makes it comfortable to listen for extended period. Recently I bought GR-07 classic for discounted price of $100 and again found them sibilant at times. I see there is a possibility that I might buy myself a pair of UE900 for extended trial but motivation is not that high to make it happen for now.  

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #729 of 3,037
I was told IEMs could get clotted up sometimes and lose the highs when they get clotted up, maybe that's what happened to our UM2. But the UE900s definitely have too much of the sparkle to my liking.

I used that mini-stick that came with my Westone 2 to clean up the earwax in the UM2 housing small tube wrapped by tip. The sound hasn't changed at all so I believe the gathering of earwax is insignificant to SQ 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #730 of 3,037
I used that mini-stick that came with my Westone 2 to clean up the earwax in the UM2 housing small tube wrapped by tip. The sound hasn't changed at all so I believe the gathering of earwax is insignificant to SQ :)  

The nozzle on westone's IEM isn't easy to clog.

It would definitely affect the sound once it's fully clogged.

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #731 of 3,037
Would the pro 40 improve on the um3x sound signature or sound totally different. 
I'm looking for an pair of iem that will retain the forward mids and instrument separation of the um3x but improve on the treble detail.  
The um 30 are just redesigned um3x so there's no point buying again. 

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #732 of 3,037
  Would the pro 40 improve on the um3x sound signature or sound totally different. 
I'm looking for an pair of iem that will retain the forward mids and instrument separation of the um3x but improve on the treble detail.  
The um 30 are just redesigned um3x so there's no point buying again. 

I reckon that UM50 becomes too bassy that seems to affect clarity/transparency particularly in the treble region from the review I have read. Seem Westone fail to further improve the sound of UM series after release of UM3X in 2009   

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #733 of 3,037

I reckon that UM50 becomes too bassy that seems to affect clarity/transparency particularly in the treble region from the review I have read. Seem Westone fail to further improve the sound of UM series after release of UM3X in 2009   

It seems like back then, Westone spent more time tuning the drivers to maximise the potential of the drivers. 
Now it seems to be quantity, not quality. 
You wouldn't hear anybody complain about the um3x sounding worse than the um1.
Back then, the UM and W series were equivalent priced with the Shure's SE series according to the number of drivers.
Now the W60 is priced the same as the SE846 despite having 2 additional drivers.  
I wonder how the um pro 40 would compare with my um3x. Haven't heard much of it. 

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #734 of 3,037
It seems like back then, Westone spent more time tuning the drivers to maximise the potential of the drivers. 
Now it seems to be quantity, not quality. 
You wouldn't hear anybody complain about the um3x sounding worse than the um1.
Back then, the UM and W series were equivalent priced with the Shure's SE series according to the number of drivers.
Now the W60 is priced the same as the SE846 despite having 2 additional drivers.  
I wonder how the um pro 40 would compare with my um3x. Haven't heard much of it. 

Is there a UM Pro 40 around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back