Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Aug 22, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #662 of 3,037
  what tips do you guys use for bass on this iem ? 

blink.gif
 x 1,000,000

Aug 23, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #665 of 3,037
  Do you have a proper seal?

Complys don't seal very well for me.

That's actually false.  Complys seal the best of any tip in the world.....that's the whole point/  They are foam so no matter how goofy your ear configuration is, it does not matter, the comply doesn't care, it will fill up those areas upon expansion.

The trade off is a recessed upper frequency due to the dampening factor of foam.

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #666 of 3,037
  That's actually false.  Complys seal the best of any tip in the world.....that's the whole point/  They are foam so no matter how goofy your ear configuration is, it does not matter, the comply doesn't care, it will fill up those areas upon expansion.

The trade off is a recessed upper frequency due to the dampening factor of foam.

Do you have a proper seal?

Complys don't seal very well for me.

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #668 of 3,037
Looking at the UM50 as a stablemate to the IE800, strong bass sounds promising, rich mids will be a nice contrast to the IE800s clean mids, but - the treble - just how rolled off is it on the UM50? - would it be like listening to music through cotton wool after the IE800?

If the treble is not more muted than that of the Sony XBA4 / HA3 (the only BA treble I can relate to ATM) then I think I'm sold...

If not, I suppose I'll have to weigh up if the W50 treble would be better, at the sacrifice of the UM50 bass...

Any thoughts?

[Edit - How could I forget my Heir Tzar350! If the treble is like on these (as an extra reference point), great!]

Aug 30, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #669 of 3,037
Looking at the UM50 as a stablemate to the IE800, strong bass sounds promising, rich mids will be a nice contrast to the IE800s clean mids, but - the treble - just how rolled off is it on the UM50? - would it be like listening to music through cotton wool after the IE800?

If the treble is not more muted than that of the Sony XBA4 / HA3 (the only BA treble I can relate to ATM) then I think I'm sold...

If not, I suppose I'll have to weigh up if the W50 treble would be better, at the sacrifice of the UM50 bass...

Any thoughts?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

[Edit - How could I forget my Heir Tzar350! If the treble is like on these (as an extra reference point), great!]

Thomann.de in germany have the um50's in stock and have 3-4 day free shipping to the uk.  They also have a decent returns (even for iems for once) so you could always try the um50 first to see if you like it.  The only other thought is to try the w50 first as I would of thought (rightly or wrongly) that bass would have been easier to eq in than treble.

Sep 7, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #670 of 3,037

Thomann.de in germany have the um50's in stock and have 3-4 day free shipping to the uk.  They also have a decent returns (even for iems for once) so you could always try the um50 first to see if you like it.  The only other thought is to try the w50 first as I would of thought (rightly or wrongly) that bass would have been easier to eq in than treble.

I'm thinking of possibly picking up the W50 or the UM Pro 50. Looking up the differences has been kind of a fruitless endeavor. 

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #672 of 3,037
i have to agree with spyro there. I havent heard the w50 but i was told they arent worth trying after you've heard w60 and pro50.

On the um pro 50s the bass is quite pronounced even though its a um series, mainly because the rest of the spectrum remains flat to my ears. i suspect the w50 would be equally if not more colored. 

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #673 of 3,037
I have no problems with the treble on my UM- Pro 50!
Don't post a baseless opinion without having extensively listened to the UM-Pro 50!
The stock cable takes a few weeks to properly burn in and while that happens the treble totally opens up.
That's the issue most observe, trying the Um-Pro 50 in a shop 9 chances out of 10 will give you the wrong picture of what this IEM is capable of... And it's easy to interchange the cables with some aftermarket ones to "tune" the sound to your liking if you're not happy with the stock cable. :wink:

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #674 of 3,037
  i have to agree with spyro there. I havent heard the w50 but i was told they arent worth trying after you've heard w60 and pro50.

On the um pro 50s the bass is quite pronounced even though its a um series, mainly because the rest of the spectrum remains flat to my ears. i suspect the w50 would be equally if not more colored. 

I think Spyro was saying that the W50 and UM Pro 50 is warm / dark without treble so it is best to avoid.

I agree that the UM Pro 50 does have a warm/darker sound. However, that doesn't mean it is without any treble at all, the trebles are slight rolled off but still has the detail that it needs when required.

It makes the UM Pro 50 non fatiguing and  a very comfortable earphones to listen to over a long period.

Some people may not like the warm/dark sound. But others do, especially the people that are into tube sounds.  

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #675 of 3,037
I'm about to make a leap as kind of an audio-noob and will soon be investing more than 50 bucks on earphones after I pop down to a local store to test a few of these earphones.

I'm going to test the UM Pro 10, W10, Se 215, and Se 315s. 

From what I've gathered from some really helpful members of the forum, the SE 215 (though it is a Shure product) are somewhat muddy and not great for classical/clarity in general.  SE 315 is better, but not justified in being nearly 100 dollars more expensive (here in Singapore).  The UM Pro 10 is decent and generally on par with the W10.  W10 supposedly cleaner.  

However, for some reason, the W10's are priced at 299 whereas the UM Pro 10's are priced at 215.  I'm guessing this is coming from the generally useless value-added stuff (replaceable body, replaceable body tool, extra iphone cable, useless imo).

I'm leaning very heavily towards the UM Pro 10's due to price/ theoretical sound.

However, I want to know if these are getting replaced soon?  If yes, I'll hold off on the purchase and wait for the new ones to come (holidays?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back