Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Feb 23, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #287 of 3,037
Ok it did slipped off my mind that the UM50 is meant for monitoring purposes. Not the design is worse. The design is actually good and even more fitting than the old UM series. Just that the build quality takes a back seat compared to the old UM.

Strangely, i do agree with you on the build quality, but not on the sound signature. Both on paper and to my ears, adding to it the actual BAs inside, all yield to the fact that the lows are so tight and I said it and would say it again, the drums (if you are into real drums not drum machine music) slams as natural and tight as i ever listened to. This includes my IEMs and over ears like HD800 and HD650. The low BA is still the same as the UM3x so how can the bass be looser, add to it the dual mids (this is the first universal westone with with dual mids and almost the only universal out there with dual mid BAs) the dual mids integrate much better with the low freq spectrum than the 1BA in um3x which makes the slam of drums feel so real. Perhaps the UM3x had better sub-bass feel due to the absence of the better higher frequency extensions of the lows, but that would mean that the UM3x are now enjoyable for electronic music

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #288 of 3,037
Strangely, i do agree with you on the build quality, but not on the sound signature. Both on paper and to my ears, adding to it the actual BAs inside, all yield to the fact that the lows are so tight and I said it and would say it again, the drums (if you are into real drums not drum machine music) slams as natural and tight as i ever listened to. This includes my IEMs and over ears like HD800 and HD650. The low BA is still the same as the UM3x so how can the bass be looser, add to it the dual mids (this is the first universal westone with with dual mids and almost the only universal out there with dual mid BAs) the dual mids integrate much better with the low freq spectrum than the 1BA in um3x which makes the slam of drums feel so real. Perhaps the UM3x had better sub-bass feel due to the absence of the better higher frequency extensions of the lows, but that would mean that the UM3x are now enjoyable for electronic music

Hmm that's how I heard it though. :) Running it out directly from DX50. Probably the UM sound signature isn't for me haha. I used to own the UM3X too. Tried very hard to like it but still ended up going to W4R. Even with silver dragon cable coupled to UM3X did not satisfy my crave for it. Now mainly I'm on ASG2 and probably that's why UM50 sounded in that manner to me. Appreciate your feedback and impressions on the UM series! :) I'm still a Westone fan haha. Probably I should head to their W series.

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #289 of 3,037
Would anyone have a suggestions of the UM pro 50 vs the se846?  I currently have the um 30 pro and enjoy them very much, but sometimes i just feel like the mid/highs are lacking.  They are literally the most comfortable iem's i've ever owned, and i love the bass and instrument separation...but i just feel there is more out there for me to hear.  I'll be selling mine to partially fund either of these.

What attracts me to the um pro 50 is it's essentially the same fit, plus the extra drivers seem to pick up on the mid/highs from what I've been reading the last few pages here.  The price, while still expensive, is more attractive than the se846.

The se846 on the other hand seems to be one of the most raved about (if not THE most raved about) universal over the past year.  Everyone seems to have been completely wow'ed by it in every way.  Is it really worth the extra $350 over the UM Pro 50.  Anyone here can give me an accurate comparison?

I can afford either...but obviously if i can save a couple hundred then that would be great haha.

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #290 of 3,037
Would anyone have a suggestions of the UM pro 50 vs the se846?  I currently have the um 30 pro and enjoy them very much, but sometimes i just feel like the mid/highs are lacking.  They are literally the most comfortable iem's i've ever owned, and i love the bass and instrument separation...but i just feel there is more out there for me to hear.  I'll be selling mine to partially fund either of these.

What attracts me to the um pro 50 is it's essentially the same fit, plus the extra drivers seem to pick up on the mid/highs from what I've been reading the last few pages here.  The price, while still expensive, is more attractive than the se846.

The se846 on the other hand seems to be one of the most raved about (if not THE most raved about) universal over the past year.  Everyone seems to have been completely wow'ed by it in every way.  Is it really worth the extra $350 over the UM Pro 50.  Anyone here can give me an accurate comparison?

I can afford either...but obviously if i can save a couple hundred then that would be great haha.

I own them both and can easily tell you from a music fan prespective, not from technical audiophile, my prespective:

Build quality, SE846 wins. Comfort wise UMpro 50 wins by far. In facts that's the greatest power of it, it's the most comfortable high tier iem. Sound wise, SE846 will impress all your friends when then ask you to try it, but deep inside you as an owner will feel that something is not right. Why? Well mainly because sound seems compressed, it feels like the bass is not real cause its upper part rolls off making drums feel like a big blast but a simulated blast rather than a real drum being hit by a human. The UMpro50 has the most amazing real feel of the drum sound, due to the 2 mid range BAs carrying the high end extension of the drum sound to the reality level. The mids and highs are clear in both IEM, cleater than most Universal IEM, but i feel that UMpro is less fatiguing for longer use, without losing clarity. In summary UMPro 50 is for the taste of live or rock or jazz music, is like a vintage wine for special wine tasters. While the SE is universally wowing... Its a safer choice for general population, but if you like the umpro 30, you have a better chance to enjoy the vintage of the 50

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #291 of 3,037
I own them both and can easily tell you from a music fan prespective, not from technical audiophile, my prespective:

Build quality, SE846 wins. Comfort wise UMpro 50 wins by far. In facts that's the greatest power of it, it's the most comfortable high tier iem. Sound wise, SE846 will impress all your friends when then ask you to try it, but deep inside you as an owner will feel that something is not right. Why? Well mainly because sound seems compressed, it feels like the bass is not real cause its upper part rolls off making drums feel like a big blast but a simulated blast rather than a real drum being hit by a human. The UMpro50 has the most amazing real feel of the drum sound, due to the 2 mid range BAs carrying the high end extension of the drum sound to the reality level. The mids and highs are clear in both IEM, cleater than most Universal IEM, but i feel that UMpro is less fatiguing for longer use, without losing clarity. In summary UMPro 50 is for the taste of live or rock or jazz music, is like a vintage wine for special wine tasters. While the SE is universally wowing... Its a safer choice for general population, but if you like the umpro 30, you have a better chance to enjoy the vintage of the 50

Awesome thx so much for the reply.  I know the se846 is an amazing IEM, i just really have a hard time wanting to drop my whole budget on it...especially since i know i will eventually be able to snag a used pair down the road much cheaper.

Considering i listen mainly to hard rock / blues rock, it seems like the UM 50 pro may be exactly what i'm looking for.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #293 of 3,037
  Went ahead and ordered off of Earphone Solutions last night - can't wait!  I'll update again once they arrive :)

Congrats! Can't wait to hear your impressions. Sorry for your wallet though
tongue.gif

UM50s seem perfect for me but I can't justify upgrading from my UM2s right now

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #294 of 3,037
Just got the UM50 and the left earpiece was DOA. Bummer!

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk HD

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #297 of 3,037
No sound at all. I swapped cable ends and players, just to be sure. Didn't examine any closer, since they are going back.

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #300 of 3,037
If it was me I would call Westone in Colorado and inquire how this could possibly happen?  Obviously you are annoyed but I would be VERY NICE about it and try and find out how this could get pass QC?  I'd ask if they are made there on the premises or elsewhere "in the USA."?  Like don't they think the initial offerings need to be flawless?  actually at this price range they should all be flawless.

Never knock ANY product made in China these days.  This is not the 1970's.  One could easily argue that the discipline and work ethic THERE is far superior to here as, sadly, the worth ethic for many in the USA has declined to pathetic levels.  In all sincerity, from a workmanship labor standpoint, I would almost take any product "made in China" over USA any day.

It's the quality of the raw materials that is usually the real issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back