Westone ES5
Apr 17, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #4,486 of 5,554
those are westone's instructions just so you know. - copied direct form their pdf instructions found here

http://www.westone.com/sites/default/files/music_market_materials/desiccant_users.pdf

To Reactivate

Microwave oven:
Remove desiccant pod from container. Place desiccant, screen side
up, in microwave and heat for 30 seconds on high. Let cool to the
touch. Repeat cycle until beads are orange.
Warning: Do not exceed 2 minutes total. Let the
Hearing Aid Saver desiccant cool before handling.
Conventional Oven:
Remove desiccant pod from container and bake, screen side up, for
1 hour at 200°F (93°C), or until beads are orange. Let the Hearing
Aid Saver desiccant cool before handling.

yeah you must have a nuclear reactor in your microwave... i've dried mine this way many times and its never come close to "cooking"

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #4,487 of 5,554

Quote:
those are westone's instructions just so you know. - copied direct form their pdf instructions found here

http://www.westone.com/sites/default/files/music_market_materials/desiccant_users.pdf

To Reactivate

Microwave oven:
Conventional Oven:

yeah you must have a nuclear reactor in your microwave... i've dried mine this way many times and its never come close to "cooking"

frown.gif

It's about time to order a monitor saver.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #4,488 of 5,554
The only times I've done it was in a conventional oven w/ similar materials for Aquaculture.  

The thing about 'high' is that it varies from microwave to microwave.  'High' depends on the wattage of the microwave in question and the manufacturer.  Remember, microwaves don't produce heat, they excite the water molecules in whatever you are 'cooking' so they essentially cook themselves.  Don't excite them too much.  
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #4,489 of 5,554
After reading all this about the desiccant pod, I tried it with mine. I only did 20 seconds to see what was going on. I could hear some crackles in the microwave from the beads. When I opened the microwave, there was some "smoke" though I think it could have been steam, I suppose. I'm going to do the conventional oven tomorrow for the recharge. It seems less likely to kill the desiccant pod haha.\

Maybe you can tell us if the pod crackles whenever you do it? Oh, just in case - by crackles, its kinda like high pitched popcorn... as if you dropped a glass bead on marble and it bounced off. That sound.

Quote:

To Reactivate

Microwave oven:
Conventional Oven:

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #4,491 of 5,554
That was steam.

I conclude that this forum is filled with people that don't follow instructions. It's not 20 seconds, it's not the low setting....

So when you guys take antibiotics, do you take half of what the doctor prescribed just to be safe? :wink:

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #4,494 of 5,554
Actually not. That's my point. You wrecked your pod because you did not follow the instructions. It's like half a dose of antibiotics, i.e. worse than nothing at all.

Anyway, it is just a few dollars. Order a Monitor Saver - and an extra pod.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #4,495 of 5,554
Quote:
Actually not. That's my point. You wrecked your pod because you did not follow the instructions. It's like half a dose of antibiotics, i.e. worse than nothing at all.

Anyway, it is just a few dollars. Order a Monitor Saver - and an extra pod.  
biggrin.gif

I am waiting to see what other stuffs to order. Right now, the shipping costs more than the monitor saver itself.
The Epic cable with mic looks interesting though the mic doesn't really well well with iPhone 4.

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #4,496 of 5,554
Yes the shipping is the problem for me too. I ordered the Monitor Vault - and I also bought  a hat and some Ety noise plugs just to get the order larger than the shipping!

The Monitor Vault is pretty nice. It's still much easier to put the ES5 away into the Monitor Saver but the Vault provides better protection against knocks.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #4,497 of 5,554
I am continually impressed with the stereo separation and the clarity, yet lushness of the ES5 in the midrange.  At first I believed I had a channel imbalance issue, thinking the left side was ever so slightly louder (maybe 1-2 dB, not perceptible by the majority of people) than the right.  While that still might be the case, I've also come to realize is the propensity for engineers to mix with a left-side bias in their stereo field.  Rhythmic instrumentation is often separated (think, finger picked guitar parts, and strumming patterns, shakers, wash types of effects) deep to the sides of the stereo field in lots of modern rock and pop.  And it seems to be the norm to pan electric guitar parts, or the "hook" of the song slight left, giving my ear the perception of imbalance.  Vocals still sit nicely down the middle most of the time.  Just something I've not noticed with other IEMs.  I don't notice much, if any imbalance issues with mono tracks, leading me to this conclusion.  Still wondering if I don't have a slight imbalance in the IEM or my hearing...

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #4,498 of 5,554
i confirmed a slight CHANNEL imbalance in certain frequencies on mine as well. i used sinegen ( a frequency sweep program that has L+R seperation sliders which made it really easy to tell.

i had actually thought i heard something (less bass in one than the other) which made me want to check in the first place.

i havent checked it in a while to see if it has shifted.  i quickly forgot about it and havent noticed it since.

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #4,500 of 5,554

Quote:
I am continually impressed with the stereo separation and the clarity, yet lushness of the ES5 in the midrange.  At first I believed I had a channel imbalance issue, thinking the left side was ever so slightly louder (maybe 1-2 dB, not perceptible by the majority of people) than the right.  While that still might be the case, I've also come to realize is the propensity for engineers to mix with a left-side bias in their stereo field.  Rhythmic instrumentation is often separated (think, finger picked guitar parts, and strumming patterns, shakers, wash types of effects) deep to the sides of the stereo field in lots of modern rock and pop.  And it seems to be the norm to pan electric guitar parts, or the "hook" of the song slight left, giving my ear the perception of imbalance.  Vocals still sit nicely down the middle most of the time.  Just something I've not noticed with other IEMs.  I don't notice much, if any imbalance issues with mono tracks, leading me to this conclusion.  Still wondering if I don't have a slight imbalance in the IEM or my hearing...

Quote:
i confirmed a slight CHANNEL imbalance in certain frequencies on mine as well. i used sinegen ( a frequency sweep program that has L+R seperation sliders which made it really easy to tell.

i had actually thought i heard something (less bass in one than the other) which made me want to check in the first place.

i havent checked it in a while to see if it has shifted.  i quickly forgot about it and havent noticed it since.

Could be your amps. Do you know their channel balance specs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back