Westone ES5
Sep 26, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #3,436 of 5,554

Quote:
You want output impedance <1ohm.

Ah I see - nope my current amp wont do that.
triportsad.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #3,437 of 5,554
Kind of an awkward question for me. Can the ES5's be remolded by a third party like Fisher Hearing? I was all set on them, but just realized that they have those custom tips unlike other custom iem's. Any info would be great, thanks

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #3,438 of 5,554

Quote:
Kind of an awkward question for me. Can the ES5's be remolded by a third party like Fisher Hearing? I was all set on them, but just realized that they have those custom tips unlike other custom iem's. Any info would be great, thanks

Sure you can remold it into one with full acrylic.

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #3,439 of 5,554

Quote:

Why wouldn't you want the soft tips? They are great, very comfortable and help with the all important seal. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #3,440 of 5,554
Quick question: I just sent my ES5's back to Westone for a left-sided re-fit as it had become loose and lost its seal gradually over the first year or ownership. Since I'm well beyond my 90 day grace period they are charging me $175 for the refit on only one earpiece. I was a bit shocked by the cost and was wondering if others have been charged this price. Would it be even more if both earpieces needed a refit? Thanks

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #3,441 of 5,554

Quote:
Quick question: I just sent my ES5's back to Westone for a left-sided re-fit as it had become loose and lost its seal gradually over the first year or ownership. Since I'm well beyond my 90 day grace period they are charging me $175 for the refit on only one earpiece. I was a bit shocked by the cost and was wondering if others have been charged this price. Would it be even more if both earpieces needed a refit? Thanks

I was told that I will face the same cost as well.

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #3,442 of 5,554

Quote:

How come ES5 quality was so bad? mind to upload pictures of your ES5? are all ES5 needed to be refit after some times?

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #3,443 of 5,554

How come ES5 quality was so bad? mind to upload pictures of your ES5? are all ES5 needed to be refit after some times?

im not too sure whether its es5 or the ears, but my guess would be the ears

think the ears have expanded slightly the more you wear it, im into 10months of ownership and I can say the fitting isnt as tight as the first 2 months

btw anyone know if I will be charged if i were to send in for remold before the 1yr warranty ends? Im thinking of changing the shells

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #3,444 of 5,554

Quote:

think the ears have expanded slightly the more you wear it, im into 10months of ownership and I can say the fitting isnt as tight as the first 2 months

btw anyone know if I will be charged if i were to send in for remold before the 1yr warranty ends? Im thinking of changing the shells

anyone else facing the same problem?

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #3,445 of 5,554

Quote:

Westone asked me if I had 'lost weight' after they looked at my phones that I recently sent back for a remold. I'm 9 months into ownership and even though I just got around to sending them back now the fit in my left ear has been terrible for several months now. I actually did lose a couple of pounds but nothing dramatic, I'd be shocked if that were the cause of the progressive loosening. But to answer your question, Yes, you will be charged for the remold at this point. I only just found out that you have 90 days after receiving the ES5's to send them back for a free remold .. after that it costs $175 (not sure if this is for one side or both sides, in my case it's for only one side) which I think is pretty steep. My audiologist was pretty surprised by that cost as well. He also didn't buy the 'losing weight' explanation.

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #3,446 of 5,554
My guess is that the hybrid tip changes shape as it adapts to the shape of the canal. It was designed to only change its shape upon warming up but I guess that after a while even the cooled down shape will resembles that of your ear canal and will no longer be as tight as before.

When I first got my ES5 it was pretty tight too and then it got loosened over time. I stopped using it for one month because I sold my portable rig and when I put it on again, it felt tight.

I don't think our ears will change its shape so dramatically over a short period of time. Don't really hear such complains from full acrylic custom iem users as well.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #3,447 of 5,554

Quote:
My guess is that the hybrid tip changes shape as it adapts to the shape of the canal. It was designed to only change its shape upon warming up but I guess that after a while even the cooled down shape will resembles that of your ear canal and will no longer be as tight as before.

When I first got my ES5 it was pretty tight too and then it got loosened over time. I stopped using it for one month because I sold my portable rig and when I put it on again, it felt tight.

I don't think our ears will change its shape so dramatically over a short period of time. Don't really hear such complains from full acrylic custom iem users as well.

so it is safer to oder acrylic custom  ES5?

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #3,450 of 5,554

Quote:
Ah I see - nope my current amp wont do that.
triportsad.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about an output impedance <1 ohm, while recommended isn't mandatory.  I have a DACmini, DACport and a uDAC-2 all with output impedances of around 10 ohm if I recall, plus a modded uDAC-2 with the protective output resistor removed.  I have listened to many IEM with all of these amps, including my ES5, and I don't find the 10 ohm output impedance to present a problem with the sound.  In addition, the cryo-treated uDAC-2 Gold Edition with stock output impedance sounds pretty much the same as the uDAC-2 that has the output resistor removed.  There is only the slightest hint of improved transparency and speed in the bass with the modified uDAC-2 and the cryo-treated unit, but both sound great with my ES5.  In fact, all these units sound great to listen with the ES5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back