Westone ES5
Aug 20, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #3,241 of 5,554

Quote:
Lol, your phones are swirling all around your head!  Actually that's not so funny.  
frown.gif
  You're beginning to sound like your fit is worse now than the first set?

bad ear impression? so it need to be sent back again? if bought from earplugstore, we need to send ES5 back and Earplugstore send it back to Westone?

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #3,242 of 5,554
Quote:
bad ear impression? so it need to be sent back again? if bought from earplugstore, we need to send ES5 back and Earplugstore send it back to Westone?

That is what most likely would happen.

On another note, after about 4 months of usage, I believe my right ear piece is becoming a little lose within my ear.
I have been noticing slight ambient noise leakage.
I can push the earpiece back in and the seal will form up fully again but as soon as I let go, ambient noise returns.
What is the best method of resolving this issue?
Westone will not do refits after the warranty period... right?

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #3,243 of 5,554

Quote:
That is what most likely would happen.

On another note, after about 4 months of usage, I believe my right ear piece is becoming a little lose within my ear.
I have been noticing slight ambient noise leakage.
I can push the earpiece back in and the seal will form up fully again but as soon as I let go, ambient noise returns.
What is the best method of resolving this issue?
Westone will not do refits after the warranty period... right?

Try the Oto-ease or other lube.  Only one ear right?  

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #3,244 of 5,554
The fit issues are certainly more annoying this time! Thing is, I think this set sounds better when correctly seated. The right earpiece is tight in the wrong places, and slides down to a position where the tubes are obstructed. It's difficult to discern whether it's muffled or just lower volume, but the difference in level alone is annoying enough. I keep re-adjusting it but it falls back in just a few seconds - it's at it's best before the vinyl's warmed up and deforms, so I might be going for full acryllic next time.

And yeah, since I bought them through EarPlug Superstore that's where I'll have to send them. This adds one day to shipping and I don't speak to Westone directly about my problems. However, the folks at EPS have alot of experience that's added to the collective pool and I can only benefit from their involvement. They speak with the people at Westone over the phone, and IME, communications have always been prompt.

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #3,245 of 5,554

Quote:
it's at it's best before the vinyl's warmed up and deforms, so I might be going for full acryllic next time.

That's too bad as I usually have the opposite experience.

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #3,246 of 5,554
I'm gonna leave it up to Westone to decide on a course of action based on the problems I've been having. Vinyl or acryllic I hope I end up being able to enjoy them without having to worry about them popping out of place.

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #3,250 of 5,554
Hey guys~

Short update.

I've placed my order for the UERM so you guys can expect an Custom IEM Showdown comparison between the JH16, UE18, UERM, ES5. JH13 Demo Unit pretty soon haha :)

Anyways after listening to the UE18s a bit more I've begun to become more fond of it. 

I currently have the JH16, ES5 and UE18 within my possession and I would say that when listening to rock and metal music where I want tighter and more "accurate" Bass I use my JH16Pros

For R&B and Rap, Guitar Instrumentals I tend to use the UE18Pros since its the most neutral out of the three, to my ears at least.

Whilst for Vocal music I tend to use the ES5s.

I would say that the ES5s are more suitable if you're someone with a large variety of music.

I tend to find the bass of the JH16 slightly overwhelming for Rap and R&B. Whilst the Mids of the UE18 pro lacking when it comes to vocal Music.
The ES5s, to me, seem more dynamic, more powerful in quite a raw way. It's almost like the UE18Pro has a slightly more refined tone compared to the ES5s. But like I said before, it really comes down to preference haha.

Though I would say that if I had to live with just one of the three, I'd pick the ES5s cause they're more suitable for a wide range of music haha.

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #3,252 of 5,554
"Tight and accurate bass" for rock and metal, and you get that from the JH16? Wow. I had the opposite impression when I tried the demo. I wonder just how closely they can match the sound signature in custom molded IEMs, 'cause it's pretty amazing how subjective impressions can differ wildly on one thing, while at the same time being fairly similar on another.

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #3,255 of 5,554

Quote:
Is it me or does the stock silver cable feel more softer than the stock black cable?

It's not your imagination.  Or maybe it is!  
tongue.gif

Actually different color dyes can affect how different materials like plastic and such feel.  Even different colored car paints have a different hardness rating.  Which is one reason you don't buy black cars unless you know what you are doing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back