Westone ES5 Review (and brief comparisons to other custom IEMs)
Dec 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #16 of 37
Yes it does.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sorry but I didn't bring the derailment nor was first to reply to it. Just think it should be settled accurately one way or another before becoming 'fact' but this was never the place. I was going to ask the OP but see he doesn't carry JHA. Still, if he knows, it would help. Kunlun, what did he do to you man, LOL. If you could PM me a link to what was said, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks. I'll post back if I agree.

Back to ES5 that seems to be universally liked by custom guys.

Dec 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #17 of 37

Quote:
Please, you guys are derailing the thread. How Jerry handled the preorders for JH3A doesn't belong to a review for the ES5.

On topic:

Great review! Sometimes, I wonder if I should have went for the ES5 instead of the UERM... but well, the order is made already.

Well, I don't know your tastes, but  I can tell you the material used is quite impressive and for me blocks out more outside noise. 

I tend to prefer Westone's univerals over Ultimate Ears.  If the UERM is anything like the UE10, it is a very detailed flat earphone, which I like.  The ES5 is certainly more fun and euphonic;  you can always have a second pair of earphones:) 

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #20 of 37
its very strange to me that the audiologist sets the price.
what have your actual prices been? for the es5, not the molds.
will westone let you direct order if your audiologist wants to charge an arm and a leg?

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #21 of 37

Quote:
Well, I don't know your tastes, but  I can tell you the material used is quite impressive and for me blocks out more outside noise. 

I tend to prefer Westone's univerals over Ultimate Ears.  If the UERM is anything like the UE10, it is a very detailed flat earphone, which I like.  The ES5 is certainly more fun and euphonic;  you can always have a second pair of earphones:) 

Pretty spot on.  I'd highly recommend the UERM if you get a chance to compare to the JH13.  I'd be curious about your thoughts.   I know you didn't have a chance to use any portables but I do enjoy the scaling my ES5's get w/ my setup.  I enjoy having both, one for the recording, the other for the music.  With proper synergies I've been able to add more musicality to the UERM and a more analytical flavor to the ES5.  They get closer to each other but still retain their identities which is a good thing when you don't lose out on anything.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #22 of 37

Quote:
its very strange to me that the audiologist sets the price.
what have your actual prices been? for the es5, not the molds.
will westone let you direct order if your audiologist wants to charge an arm and a leg?

My ES5 costed me $1,075 total with the artwork and shipping. You can direct order from Westone ( Like I did ), but you still need to get ear impressions from an audiologist. Some audiologists will drop the cost of the ear impression if you order your custom IEM through them. If you do so, the custom IEM are sent to them and you must come back to the audiologist to pick them up. I didn't choose this method because I was out of town when I got my impressions done.

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #23 of 37
^ my audiologist seems kind of clueless about this part of the process.. I guess i'll wait to see what they want to charge me, and depending on their price i may just take my molds and run :wink:

I would certainly prefer to take my audiologist out of the loop, they will probably just slow things down, charge more, and require payment for the pointless follow up visit.

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #25 of 37
good to know.  thanks.
so you are saying that 750ish would be the wholesale price persay?  or the minimum they can charge?

my audiologist indicated that they typically try to sell products like this for under the MSRP and that selling people Customs is not where they make their money, and that they really just want to make their customers happy so that they tell their friends, and thus increase their reputation as a good place to go.    This was also good to know. 

i always try to take the oppertunity to make this reference when the situation presents itself, albeit old probably not a quote anyone remembers.... ok i take that back apparently this is a popular phrase with an urban dictionary definition and everything, so in that case - "everything's coming up Milhouse! "

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #26 of 37
WOW!  so I decided to see what price my audiologist would quote before i said anything.

Including price of getting molds taken..... $700!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also found out today that an amp i sent someone that looked like it was lost in the mail arrived safely - it was also worth $700 which would have come out of my pocket if it didnt arrive.

Its a good day!!

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #27 of 37

Quote:
WOW!  so I decided to see what price my audiologist would quote before i said anything.

I also found out today that an amp i sent someone that looked like it was lost in the mail arrived safely - it was also worth $700 which would have come out of my pocket if it didnt arrive.

Its a good day!!

It's gonna be a greater day when your ES5's arrive! 
wink_face.gif

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #28 of 37

Quote:

Its a good day!!

What about the audiologist in UK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back