Westone ES3X low volume faulty driver or something else?
Apr 21, 2016 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Fungus

1000+ Head-Fier
I am in bit of a delema
I just purchase these used with the intention of getting them re-shelled. 
However the left side has significantly lower volume than the right.
I am not sure if it is either due to faulty drivers, loose connector,build up of wax, misaligned drivers or build up of moisture. 

The connect is very loose on the left side. 

The sound on the left piece where the sound is low sounds balanced using the stock cable meaning there is no noticeable distortion in any frequency.
However if I change to my spare epic westone, the sound is even lower with noticeable distortion.
With my stock UE cable, same thing, even lower volume with distortion. 
And with my other Fiio cable, there is no sound at all.

All 3rd party companies offering re-shelling service are located overseas so if I ship them over, there might be chance I'd have wasted shipping cost if it turns out to be faulty drivers. Actually there is a company in Australia but they

charge a ridiculous amount and I'm afraid if I sent it to them, they will hold my es3x hostage unless I proceed with the reshelling process that is if all the drivers still work. 

Inears is the cheapest option even including international shipping.

There's a company who are will to ship my es3x to directly to Westone to get them reshelled but will set me back for a staggering $500 but will have piece of mind knowing there are shelled by the original manufacturer which basically essential means the same as ordering a brand new pair. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back