Westone 4R vs Shure E535 vs UE900
Dec 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Jazic

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market again for some higher end universal fit IEMs and was wondering what the word is on the street about the models listed above.

I've owned a set of Shure e500's in the past and loved their sound stage and great bass and crisp treble as well as their fit so but I've always wanted to try a Westone or UE earphone.

Price range is from $400-$500.

Thanks for any and all info! 

Oh and I have been reading the massive IEM Review post at:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-266-iems-compared-rock-it-sounds-r-50-added-11-29-12

I was just wondering how these 3 compared to each other.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 25
Considering the prices of the 3 IEMs you listed, I'll just throw in the Audeo PFE232 just because.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 25
I did a comparison between the UE 900 and the Westone W4R.  It's linked in the OP of the UE 900 thread.  In order to really help you, I do need more information though...  Personal sound preferences (if any), genres being listened to, etc.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 25
I listen to mostly metal tunes. So low tuned basses and bass drums and guitars. Plenty of punch without being muddy and I do love a crisp sounding cymbal. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 25
I would look into the SE535 LTD Edition as it has a more extended treble than the regular SE535. TBH, the W4 might sound too dry and sterile for your tastes, as it sounds boring to me. That's why I went with the PFE232 over the W4 because the PFE232 has excellent bass and treble. UE900, I haven't had the opportunity yet but I did try, and own, the TF10 and hearing how it's mildly based of the TF10 sound but improved, I have high expectations for it.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 25
Ya I'm looking at them now (PFE232). Never heard of em. 

The one thing I always loved about the e500's the short time I had them was how airy and open they felt. I could always tell each instruments location around my head which always blew my mind because it was much larger sounding than an IEM should.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:
Ya I'm looking at them now (PFE232). Never heard of em. 

The one thing I always loved about the e500's the short time I had them was how airy and open they felt. I could always tell each instruments location around my head which always blew my mind because it was much larger sounding than an IEM should.

The PFE232 surely hit the IEM scene with a bang as it has quite the beefy price tag of $600, but comparable to a lot of high-tier IEMs like the AKG K3003i. I only remember trying the e500 a LONG time ago so I can't remember quite how they sounded like..

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 25
I'm watching some reviews on youtube of the PFE232 and everyone gushes over them. How is the isolation? The replaceable filters have me worried that it wouldn't be good for isolating outside noise.

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:
I'm watching some reviews on youtube of the PFE232 and everyone gushes over them. How is the isolation? The replaceable filters have me worried that it wouldn't be good for isolating outside noise.

I'd say isolation is average for IEMs.  It'll work well if you're not in a dense crowd, otherwise, you may want to look elsewhere :p  For your genres I'd recommend depending on your musical tastes:
  1. PFE232
  1. Westone W4
  2. Heir Audio 3.Ai
  3. UE 900
  4. Heir Audio 4.Ai

I haven't heard the 535, so I can't comment there. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 25
I'll check them out. Thanks tiny!

Are there any custom IEM's that would be recommended in the $400-$600 price range? I am familiar with the imprint procedure and added cost.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #12 of 25
the shure se535-ltd-j asian edition is probably the best universal iem. 

first i bought the se535 bronze and i love thee quality of the build, hated the cable, loved the sound , hated the treble roll off.

then i bought the asian se535-led-j reds, still great build quality, slightly better cable but this can still be improved with a cable upgrade. the se535 reds took care of that treble roll off and the extension of the treble was imo greatly improved.

i cannot comment on the westone 4s, however i should be getting my westone 4r's in tomorrow or the next day so i can give you a comparison between the 535 and 4s

as far as the ue900 i didnt feel they were on the same level as the westone sound quality or the shure se535. they just seemed to be a more improved tf10 but still dont feel they are of the audiophile quality of the 535 or 4s

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #13 of 25
the shure se535-ltd-j asian edition is probably the best universal iem. 

first i bought the se535 bronze and i love thee quality of the build, hated the cable, loved the sound , hated the treble roll off.

then i bought the asian se535-led-j reds, still great build quality, slightly better cable but this can still be improved with a cable upgrade. the se535 reds took care of that treble roll off and the extension of the treble was imo greatly improved.

i cannot comment on the westone 4s, however i should be getting my westone 4r's in tomorrow or the next day so i can give you a comparison between the 535 and 4s

as far as the ue900 i didnt feel they were on the same level as the westone sound quality or the shure se535. they just seemed to be a more improved tf10 but still dont feel they are of the audiophile quality of the 535 or 4s

Mooses9, so how did you go with the Westone 4/4R review ?
any updates on the sound quality benchmark ?

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:
Mooses9, so how did you go with the Westone 4/4R review ?
any updates on the sound quality benchmark ?

benchmark between the w4r vs the se535? 

i have upgraded extensively since i have gotten the w4r, the w4r remain in the mix, i love them, i have upgraded ands upgraded and upgraded currently my setup with the w4r are

Cable: Toxic Cable Silver Poison 7n upocc pure silver cable

interconnects: Toxic Cables Silver Poison 7n upocc usb to LOD.....Toxic Cables Silver Poison 7n upocc mini to mini... i also use the Whiplash SCSCAG 24AWG Cyro'd pure solid silver 7n upocc mini to mini

Amp: Ibasso p4 warbler / RSA sr71-b rev 2 intruder spec upgrade

Dac: Cyher Labs Algorhythm SOLO 

Source: ipod touch 4g 64gb

So with all my equipment, the w4r sound PHENOMENAL. they dont sound ANYTHING like they did straight out of the box. really a excellent universal iem.

Aug 19, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #15 of 25
 benchmark between the w4r vs the se535? 

i have upgraded extensively since i have gotten the w4r, the w4r remain in the mix, i love them, i have upgraded ands upgraded and upgraded currently my setup with the w4r are

Cable: Toxic Cable Silver Poison 7n upocc pure silver cable

interconnects: Toxic Cables Silver Poison 7n upocc usb to LOD.....Toxic Cables Silver Poison 7n upocc mini to mini... i also use the Whiplash SCSCAG 24AWG Cyro'd pure solid silver 7n upocc mini to mini

Amp: Ibasso p4 warbler / RSA sr71-b rev 2 intruder spec upgrade

Dac: Cyher Labs Algorhythm SOLO 

Source: ipod touch 4g 64gb

So with all my equipment, the w4r sound PHENOMENAL. they dont sound ANYTHING like they did straight out of the box. really a excellent universal iem.

Wow, that's cool, Toxic cable :)
it must be very expensive cable as displayed on your avatar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back