Westone 4 vs. JH5
May 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 49
JH5's are well liked in these parts.
I have the 10X3's but I'm still contemplating getting a pair.

Also the comfort of Customs is unmatched by and universal I've tried.

May 7, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 49
I've had no issues with the JH5 and refits. My JH5 did not need any refits.

May 7, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 49
Quote:
Im worried about how many problems people had with fitting. It seems like a lot of them had to send the JH5s back for refitting multiple times.

that is all going to depend on the audiologist that does the impression and how true to form they are. if they are'nt great fitment issues are going to arise. if they are good fitment issues shouldnt be a problem of course there could always be human error to account for

May 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 49
I thought the W4 is easily better than the JH5. I also preferred the UE4 to the JH.

The JH5 sounds grainy, bass-punchy (but not too good with subbass) and thin. I thought the overall presentation is very disharmonius, compared to the contenders. My opinion is based on a demonstration pair, though. However, I know at least a few people who shared my findings.

I also got annoyed by W4's upper bass, which is why I sold them. Looking forward to the Sennheiser IE 800!

May 9, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 49
Is the bass overpowering in the JH5 though? Ive listened to a couple lower end earphones and the bass was decent but thats basically all they had going for them. They overpowered everything else and I dont want that. I like bass but im not looking for only bass

May 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 49
I love my JH5s. No problems with the fit from them, it's all about the impressions. You get bad impressions, and you won't like the fit. I strongly suggest you find a good audiologist, and ask for a slack-jaw/semi-open jaw impression. Not a full open-jaw as then when your mouth is closed the fit is painful, and closed mouth you will break seal every time you yawn, chew, ect.
They got the fit on the JH5s right the first time.

Quote:
Is the bass overpowering in the JH5 though? Ive listened to a couple lower end earphones and the bass was decent but thats basically all they had going for them. They overpowered everything else and I dont want that. I like bass but im not looking for only bass

That's pretty much what i'd say.

The bass is probably the best of BA drivers i've heard thus far (although i only have a couple). You're not going to get the overwhelming flood of bass you get from some dynamic drivers that i've tried, and it gives the sound a lot of body.
To the best of my current abilities, i would describe the JH5s as relatively neutral across the board with a good and fun amount of bass.

It's pretty much great across the board. I've got one pair of phones where the highs are detailed, crisp, and separated; and the lows are pretty good, but the mids were recessed to the point where alternative rock tracks sounded like the vocalist is standing 10ft back. This is not the case with the JH5.

Quote:
I thought the W4 is easily better than the JH5. I also preferred the UE4 to the JH.

The JH5 sounds grainy, bass-punchy (but not too good with subbass) and thin. I thought the overall presentation is very disharmonius, compared to the contenders. My opinion is based on a demonstration pair, though. However, I know at least a few people who shared my findings.

I also got annoyed by W4's upper bass, which is why I sold them. Looking forward to the Sennheiser IE 800!

Demonstration monitors aren't custom fitted are they? I'm pretty sure that makes a pretty huge difference. I mean, i wouldn't describe my JH5s as anything close to thin, and grainy.

May 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:
how about 1964Q vs jh5? or TF10 reshelled by fisher vs jh5?

1964-Q vs JH5 : Flip a coin. The Q's will probably have a stronger low end, while the JH5's will give a mildly more balanced approach.

TF10 vs JH5: JH5. People who have gotten both have generally recommended going with the JH5's.

May 10, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 49
Quote:

It is a great all-rounder and truely improves with amping.  JH5 can go very loud with zero distortion.  It's a big bold sound but not all bassy.  Imagine W3 without the bass hump and a bit more midrange.  THAT is JH5.   Great IEM!    Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back