Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jun 21, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #4,171 of 5,568
Quote:
Right there with ya voicemaster. Mine came in this afternoon, and without getting too ahead of myself, these may be 'the ones' - at least for a while. I'm coming from the UE900s which I found to be a little neutral and the W4s may have just the warmth that I'm after. The mid bass and extensive treble are absolutely wonderful and the mids are on another level. My other IEMs include GR07s, B2s, MD Tributes, and FXT90s. W4 is killing it in all categories, more fun than the 07s, more present bass than the B2s, more clarity than the MDs and the signature reminds me of the 90s, but its just... better. 

I got a like new pair for an absolute steal and can't wait to see how mental burn-in makes them sound. 

Your other IEMs are more expensive than my collections, so the jump is pretty high from what I have been using. When I first tried it, I don't feel the bass. I can hear it, but because I am so used to dynamic IEMs, the bass didn't feel to have that much of quantity. It was very tight, doesn't interfere with other freqs, but after spending a day or two with it, I now can feel the bass. I strongly believe in mental burn-in. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #4,173 of 5,568
If anyone wants to try a new tip combo, I took Head-fier Sinth's advice and used the triple flange core to fit a Comply T-400 tip on the W4.  The 400 size has a huge core diameter and allows the W4 to play through almost unimpeded, while the Comply seal still isolates and provides all the W4 bass characteristics.  This is probably the 200th tip recommendation!

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #4,174 of 5,568
Quote:
If anyone wants to try a new tip combo, I took Head-fier Sinth's advice and used the triple flange core to fit a Comply T-400 tip on the W4.  The 400 size has a huge core diameter and allows the W4 to play through almost unimpeded, while the Comply seal still isolates and provides all the W4 bass characteristics.  This is probably the 200th tip recommendation!

It will be fine if you show some pict her just to get an idea...

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #4,175 of 5,568
Jun 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #4,176 of 5,568
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/657114/westone-4-with-comply-awesome-but-with-star-tips-horrible/30

Sinth's picture toward bottom of page.  I would have copied it directly here, but didn't want to infringe.

Thk for the link! I think i have miss some thing here! Comply Txs 400 tips, fit easily over the w4 nozzle! Why the need for a stem? Sony or Phonack tips need this stem mod, but the Comply tips am not very sure, sorry, maybe am confusing somewhere?

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #4,177 of 5,568
Quote:
Thk for the link! I think i have miss some thing here! Comply Txs 400 tips, fit easily over the w4 nozzle! Why the need for a stem? Sony or Phonack tips need this stem mod, but the Comply tips am not very sure, sorry, maybe am confusing somewhere?

Comply 100 tips fit the W4 nozzle, I believe, but have a correspondingly smaller core size.  The 400's are wider, I had them for my Hifiman RE 400's.  I've never had the 100's, so someone please correct me if my info is wrong!  Thanks!

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #4,178 of 5,568
Quote:
Comply 100 tips fit the W4 nozzle, I believe, but have a correspondingly smaller core size.  The 400's are wider, I had them for my Hifiman RE 400's.  I've never had the 100's, so someone please correct me if my info is wrong!  Thanks!

It will be a time Weston release with there um3x or w4 some Comply tips.,I think they are 100. (not very familiar with these tips) But, my opinion, 100, 200 or 400, there cores are the same size!
They supposly fit all the weston nozzle, like the Shure (Blk olive) fit right! Anyways! I dont like the fit & fell.  My preference go to yellow foam, and Olive (Shure) and Sony Hybrid and E2c silicone tip mod....

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #4,180 of 5,568
Quote:
Just breath new life into my W4
Phonak tips and RSA intruder. Oh mine!!!!

Welcome to the wonderfull world of W4!  Phonak mod tip never tried yet! Sony mod and Shure E2c mod only!  RSA P-51 Mustang soon!

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #4,181 of 5,568
Quote:

Thank, I will tried this!  I have never think that T-400 tips have a bigger core. I have allways think that all of the T series have the same core size!!! Bizare, I have thinking only the outside foam diam/size  where bigger, not the core!!
rolleyes.gif

Edit:  Have u ever tried the yellow foam? It provide nice bass charasteristic to! 

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #4,183 of 5,568
Describing what I hear is not my strong point , so with that in mind
some songs I am familiar with - bass seems deeper- feel it more and cleaner vocal? more pronounced and I think I heard few more beats in some of Keb Mo's or maybe not
Ok, I am definitely liking my W4 more
Since the tip changing worked so well for W4, was trying it with TZAr 350 but am afraid our journey is coming to an end, no luck , not even with the intruder
The other RSA amp I have is the Shadow but the intruder is really impressive

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #4,184 of 5,568
Quote:
Thank, I will tried this!  I have never think that T-400 tips have a bigger core. I have allways think that all of the T series have the same core size!!! Bizare, I have thinking only the outside foam diam/size  where bigger, not the core!!
rolleyes.gif

Edit:  Have u ever tried the yellow foam? It provide nice bass charasteristic to! 

I want to try the Shure yellows.  Read good things about them!

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #4,185 of 5,568
Have any of you guys searching for tips for the W4 here recently ever tried the EarPortz tips? I'm telling you... you can keep looking through all those generic type tips that all sound very similar, but like something's still missing. Or... you can find the right fitting EarPortz version... and you will not believe the difference. It will make your W4 sound like you had no idea it could sound. Big, warm low end, crystal clear but very smooth high end. Once you get how to insert it properly, and get the right size for your ear canal... you may keep looking for other tips, but you will not find one that sounds even close (that's available now, at least). And you will not be able to go back to those "generic" tips again. The EarPortz are basically like you turned your W4s into some kinda super custom IEM.

Or... you can forget I said anything, and keep searching... with the same basic results each time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back